Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 20, 2023

Monday, February 20, 2023

Monday, February 20, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. This was a typical physical therapy session for Mattie. In order for us to get him to buy into the process and participate, we allowed him the opportunity to test things out on us. If we were willing to do the exercises, then typically Mattie would then try it! Smart fellow! Any case that day, Anna (Mattie's physical therapist) wanted Mattie to play a game like twister. So literally Anna and I took our shoes off in the middle of the hallway, and we followed commands Mattie was shouting out at us!



Quote of the day: A mother cannot give birth to a child and not lose a piece of herself. The child takes a part of the parent with them, holding it as their own. Whether it be their heart or soul, they are now connected for always. ~ Sejal Badani


On top of my usual routine, I am busy working on the Foundation's walk and raffle website. It would be lovely if this site would just magically create itself. But one thing I am grateful for is that I am only updating or revising a template I created a few years ago. In 2020, the company we use to manage our Walk, updated their technology. This meant that I had to create a website from the ground up. That was a steep learning curve for me, but I was determined to do it! Thankfully this technology change did not happen when my parents were living with me, because my stress would be through the roof. As it is hard to even return emails with them in tow. 

My parents think only of their immediate needs and concerns. Case in point, I was in the kitchen having a conversation with Peter about a job lead. As many of you know, Peter is actively looking for a job. Peter has been working hard and doing a lot of research as it pertains to a particular opportunity. He was updating me on this work! At the same time, we heard my mom clopping down the staircase (and I mean clopping, you can't miss her). She came into the kitchen, handed me her cell phone and wanted me to address several things on her phone right there and then. 

If she was rational, I would naturally have told her to wait until I was finished talking and then would help her. However, now that my parents have been living with me for 14 months, I know I can't hold my mom to the same expectations I would have in the past. Instead, Peter and I both know that we have to stop talking and manage her issues. If not, things spiral out of control quickly and I was in no mood for an argument and histrionics this evening. 

Nonetheless, day in and day out of this behavior is challenging and emotionally exhausting. I am not sure the average marriage could handle the stress we are living under. Fortunately though, Peter and I know all about caregiver stress and not being able to live a normal and free life.

The highlight of today was the weather. It is beginning to feel like spring. Even our yellow crocuses are popping up!
Check out who loves the bird traffic! Miss Indie is a riot and if we listen carefully, she chatters at the birds in the window. 


No comments: