Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 23, 2023

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was home between treatments and as you can see our living room was packed to the gills. The floor had Mattie's Christmas tree set up. Mattie received this tree as a gift from the hospital. Around the tree were train tracks and a Lego village. Then all of Mattie's Valentine's day cards, that he received from classmates, were in Ziplocs and shoe boxes. Of course around the perimeter of every room in our home were items gifted to Mattie from friends and the hospital. We literally looked like a warehouse not a home. I remember those days so well and after Mattie died, I literally left everything like it was for years. I just had no energy to address any of the piles and chaos. 

Quote of the day: Everything you do has an impact. Who you are – that you are – actually matters. In an interconnected world (the only kind we have), our actions and the actions of others are inextricably linked- we are always and forever in a dance of mutual influence with those with whom we directly and indirectly participate.  It is the unavoidable reality of being social creatures, only magnified by an ever-increasingly complex and interwoven societal structure.  We matter to each other.Paul Greiner


My dad started with another round of pooping in the shower this morning. This is becoming a more regular occurrence rather than a rare occurrence with my dad. Ironically before I take him into the shower each morning, I have him go to the bathroom. He literally had a bowel movement before putting him in the shower. But that did not matter. My dad's memory span is about 30 seconds. After which, the slate is wiped clean. In fact if we ask him today about pooping in the shower, he has NO IDEA what we are talking about. In his perspective, he never poops in the shower. 

I can see why caregivers of people with dementia could potentially land up yelling at them. One could become easily overwhelmed by the behaviors and the non-stop asking of the same question over and over. I am smart enough to know that my dad has no control of his bowel movements, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the process or the clean up. In fact it is sickening. 

After this morning's ordeal and the usual routine, I got my dad in his reclining chair and I hopped on a thirty minute conference call with a potential corporate sponsor for the Foundation. How I go from cleaning the shower and doing caregiver tasks, to sounding somewhat normal is beyond me. It is a feat of great proportion. 

Meanwhile, Peter has been working on spreading mulch around our front and backyards! It is a big undertaking, but since today was close to 80 degrees, it was the perfect day to be outside. 





Peter's side kick! Notice that Sunny has a bandage on his front right leg! He went to the oncology center today for a check up. They did a blood draw and collected a urine sample. I am hoping that Sunny's UTI cleared up because I hate when he is on antibiotics. The combination of that with chemo impacts his stomach terribly. 

My boy! Life with Sunny is always better. I just love his face, his disposition, and his love and loyalty!







No comments: