Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 14, 2023

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Tuesday, February 14, 2023 -- Mattie died 698 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. This was our last Valentine's Day together. That day Mattie worked for several hours in the child life playroom of the hospital, creating cards, a gift box and this crown of hearts for me. I wasn't allowed into the playroom, as this was supposed to be a surprise. When I was called back in, Mattie gave me so many wonderful hand made gifts. I was deeply touched and his art therapist, Jenny, snapped this photo of us together. It is one of my favorite photos! It captured a typical Mattie move.... in which he would touch my nose and stare into my eyes! 

Before we moved in 2021, I disassembled all of Mattie's Valentine's gifts to me from 2009. I took bits and pieces of them and turned them into this collage. This collage is now in my office and I see it daily! 













Quote of the day: When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~ Paulo Coelho


While getting myself together this morning, I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Valentine's Day. Specifically asking whether listeners thought it was a good idea to mandate that every child in school bring in a valentine's day card for each classmate. I heard both sides on this issue. Those who were for it, basically felt that they did not want any child to be left out of the holiday or excluded from not getting a card in school. Of course the other side of this debate was that forcing kids to give cards to other kids they truly don't get along with sets up a bad emotional dynamic. 

Honestly I can appreciate both sides but as I was listening to this my thought was... wow life has gotten too complicated! So complicated that we now have to think for our children, regulate their card giving, and tell them who to like and who not to like. Unfortunately we as humans gravitate to some people, but not to others! Should we be forced to treat everyone equally? I think the answer is NO! I think there is one thing to be fair, human, and kind to everyone, and quite another position that one has to go through the motions of liking everyone. Chances are that isn't natural and in fact makes us disingenuous. 

I know when Mattie went to school, we lived with this policy of everyone gets a card! Fortunately for us this was during the preschool and kindergarten years, and frankly when they are so young, I saw no problem with every little person getting a card. But as deeper emotions form with age, it doesn't make sense to give a card to everyone. I wouldn't be expected to do that in my life now, so why are we asking children to do this? Any case, if you are interested in this debate, read, "Should Kids Be Forced to Give Valentines to Everyone?"


I took my parents to a doctor's appointment today. When my dad was hospitalized in March of 2022, we met a rehab medicine doctor. He has a great team, who helped my dad considerably! So my dad has remained a patient of his. Today, my mom also became his patient. The doctor gave my mom a thorough evaluation and wants to see her every four months. He is encouraging me to change her shower routine, so that she showers with a chair and shower wand instead of standing in the shower. He says the number one way people in their 80's die is falling in the shower, breaking a hip, and failing through recovery. 

After the doctor visit, I took my parents out to lunch. We went to Mattie's favorite restaurant and sat in the bar area. My parent like this part of the restaurant, as it is more lively. On Tuesdays, we know the server who works in the bar and she treats us beautifully. She gave my mom and I roses and chocolates! She literally brought in her own rose supply and gave them to certain customers. So we felt special!




To me there are signs of spring all around us! A camellia is blooming in our garden. 









Daffodils are sprouting out!
While walking Sunny today, we saw a carpet of crocus. I am saddened that Sunny no longer walks like he used to. He used to be my strong, energetic boy, who loved to walk for miles. Now his brain wants to do it, but the body won't let him. 





No comments: