Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 17, 2023

Monday, July 17, 2023

Monday, July 17, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2004. Mattie was two years old and that was his second time visiting the beach. By this point, Mattie LOVED the sand and he particularly enjoyed playing and building in it! Mattie could spend hours designing his sand castles, and then he and I would walk along the beach to obtain found objects. Those objects were then incorporated into Mattie castles and these found objects became his unique decorations! I will never forget Mattie's beach bag filled with shovels, sand molds, and pails!




Quote of the day: You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.Robin Williams


The highlight of our day was the arrival of Karen. Karen arrived this morning, and her train trip from NYC went smoothly! 

Despite the heat, I had everyone sitting outside on our porch this evening. What I learned this week is that you need house fans outside, circulating air. Flying bugs can't fly well with such air currents from fans. So I am trying out this theory, because I can't continue this ordeal with my dad getting bitten! My mom said she never wanted to go outside again because of bug bites, but I am not having any of this! As you can see I have my dad's arm wrapped up and earlier in the day, I had his hand wrapped up too! All I can say is thank goodness for prednisone. The steroid is making a big difference in his allergic reaction to bug bites. 


Tonight's dinner consisted of marinaded shrimp cooking on the grill, sauteed asparagus, and my corn, basil, and tomato salad.

We have been eating our anniversary cake that we got on Saturday for the last three days, and literally we almost polished it off.

The one thing I can say is having Karen here is a big change in routine for me. I am sitting down more, hearing conversation, and I am not worried about my dad's antics. I can't control them and I know I don't have to hide them from Karen. But what is evident to me is when I slow down and sit, I can feel how tired I am. I sometimes struggle to keep my head up. When that exhausted feeling starts to take over, I immediately jump up and do something, because if I ever stop moving, my household will be in big trouble.  

No comments: