Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 2, 2024

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Tuesday, January 2, 2024 -- Mattie died 744 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. We took Mattie to the US Botanical Gardens. This was a holiday tradition we loved to do. There was nothing better than to come into that space on a cold and gray day! Why? Because the atrium area was like walking into a hot house. Almost like a humid summer day in December. To me it was a magical feeling. The Gardens also decorated beautifully for the holidays and did miniaturized National monuments made out of branches and plant material. As you can see, Mattie found this wonderful plant and thought it looked like LONG hair!


Quote of the day: It’s so curious: one can resist tears and ‘behave’ very well in the hardest hours of grief. But then someone makes you a friendly sign behind a window, or one notices that a flower that was in bud only yesterday has suddenly blossomed, or a letter slips from a drawer... and everything collapses. ~ Collette


This morning I took my parents to the hospital, for my mom's appointment with the rehabilitation medicine physician. We met this doctor when my dad was hospitalized in March of 2022 for a pacemaker. It is thanks to this doctor and his staff, that they admitted my dad into their acute rehab program. As my dad was very debilitated after that surgery. Needless to say, both of my parents became his patient and he sees both of them every four months.

The doctor was lovely today and spends a lot of time talking and answering questions. What he did say was that my parents are looking better physically from when he first met them. Translation, this means..... Vicki is doing an excellent job. I take whatever victories and positive feedback I can get, because I get very little in general. Fortunately I am not the kind of person who needs a lot "that a girl's." If I did, I would be up a creek. 

After the doctor visit, I took my parents out for soup and a sandwich. When I got home, I had work to do and needed the time to focus. Never happens for me. My mom needed help with bills and my dad's health insurer is driving me nuts. They keep double billing my dad and I have spent more time on this issue over the last week than I care to discuss. I helped to pay their insurance premium last week, but the insurer is claiming not to have received it. So I had to stop what I was doing to log into my mom's bank accounts. While I went upstairs to do this, I could hear my mom talking to my dad downstairs. 

Basically she said to my dad two things. One was that she has 'a daughter who brings her no joy' and then the second, which is the most upsetting.... she wished she 'never had any children.' Needless to say, I came downstairs and was besides myself. I told my mom that this was the cruelest and meanest thing I have ever heard. 

In fact, I told her if she really felt that way, that I was going to grant her, her wish. Just like in the movie, A Wonderful Life. I got my jacket on, grabbed my purse, and walked out the front door. I told her now she has no daughter and let's see how tonight goes for her. I literally got in the car and was on the driveway. At which point she jumped in front of the car. So naturally I had to stop. She apologized and I had to take a deep breath. There is no way she can care for herself, much less my dad. Therefore, despite the mean comments, I put them on a shelf somewhere in my brain, and kept on doing what I needed to do. Which was make dinner, feed Sunny and keep the household going. 

I try to picture myself ever saying such a comment to Mattie. I suppose under the right circumstances one can say just about anything. But unfortunately words do hurt and they can have a lasting impact.

No comments: