Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 1, 2024

Monday, January 1, 2024

Monday, January 1, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. That day, I visited Mattie's kindergarten classroom and read the children the Jan Brett story, The Gingerbread Baby. In addition, I baked homemade gingerbread cookies and brought in frosting and decorations so that every student could design their own gingerbread baby! Needless to say this activity was a hit! Mattie brought his gingerbread baby home and was proudly displaying it for me!





Quote of the day: My life was suddenly divided into BEFORE and AFTER, and there was no going back to BEFORE. But then I realized I had a choice to live the AFTER. I had to decide. ~ Brenda Neal


Years ago, I had the pleasure to be introduced to Cesar and Koseth. They are from Peru and they worked with Peter. I will never forget in July of 2015, Peter and I met up with Cesar and Koseth to tour Arlington Cemetery. It was a very hot and humid day and we could see that Koseth was struggling. It was on that day, that we learned that Koseth was pregnant and they chose us to be their baby's Godparents. I consider this a big honor as a fellow Roman Catholic. Given that we lost Mattie, I was very touched by the fact that this special couple wanted to give us a chance to nurture their child in the world. It is a responsibility and an honor to be trusted with someone's child. I never forget that!

During the holidays we always have Cesar, Koseth, and Charlotte over. Today was our day together. Given how I am feeling emotionally, I never know how things will go. But I would have to say that it was a very meaningful gathering, as we all connected with great conversation, bonded over food and the growth of Charlotte. I started a new tradition today, I took out the tape measure and recorded Charlotte's height. I told her every time she comes here, we will record the changes. She liked that idea. In fact, several times, Charlotte came out to the kitchen to chat and help me. 

Today's menu of:

Piccata Rockfish
Ratatouille
Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes
Roasted asparagus with fresh mint, lemon zest and grated parmesan cheese
Koseth made dessert...Brazo de Reina (translates to the Queen's Arm). This is an incredible rolled dessert filled with dulce de leche. It was very light and tasty! 
My parents, Cesar, Koseth, and Charlotte. Both of my parents were engaged and animated tonight and this is wonderful stimulation for my dad. The Peruvian culture and Italians have a lot in common, such as great respect for parents, grounded in Catholicism, and the beauty of dining and meaningful conversation. 
With me!
Charlotte's gift.... her wish for us!


No comments: