Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 1, 2024

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. Mattie was two and half years old. By that point, he LOVED bath time. He practically would request it every afternoon! Not because he liked getting clean, but because he enjoyed playing in the water and bringing toys into the tub. As you can see, I had drained the tub after his bath, but Mattie did not want to get out!


Quote of the day: Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and filling an emptiness we didn’t ever know we had. ~ Thom Jones


This is the third week without Sunny in my life. We had a plumbing inspection today and the first thing my plumber commented on was.... he missed being greeted by Sunny. Sunny loved company, he loved people, and he had a way of making you feel welcomed to come into our home. I am so glad that Cody commented on that with me today. 

Meanwhile, don't you just love this photo?! Though Sunny was over 60 pounds, he loved spending time on the couch and when he was able to do stairs and jump... he loved being on our bed. Of course if Sunny was on our couch, there was very little room for the rest of us. But that was okay! I miss this adorable boy, with his beautiful fantail! 

My dad had a good physical therapy appointment today. In fact, he won a doll in a bingo game at his memory care center, and he gave the doll to this therapist, as she has a two year old daughter. He was very proud of that achievement and his ability to give a gift! After doing grocery shopping and putting it away, folding the laundry, and do other chores, I got my parents in the car and took them out for frozen yogurt. Getting moving and out of the house each day is vital for all of us. 

When I got home, I spoke to a county land surveyor, because with my neighbor's renovation next door, I have some concerns. I will be meeting with him again tomorrow, and found him very helpful. Meanwhile, since it was in the 50s today, I decided to walk around the property, collect sticks and downed tree limbs. Trust me this alone could be a full time job. As you can see I have filled one entire bin filled with sticks! I have other piles in the backyard, but will have to dispose of them a little at a time. While breaking in half a big tree limb today, I once again fell backwards. This is my third fall in less than a year (because I am doing all sorts of tasks around the house), and when I fall, I fall on the part of my backside that contributes to my sciatic nerve issue. 

My mother in law sent me a Lego kit yesterday in the mail for Valentine's Day. I am actually very touched by this gift. While grocery shopping today, it was impossible NOT to see all the Valentine's themed flowers, chocolate strawberries and gifts. I would like to say I tuned them out, but unfortunately all these sights hit me hard. 

I began working on the Lego kit this morning and then finished the heart while making dinner. I think Mattie would have been proud of me, as he was a huge Legos fan. What I can say is while focusing on Legos, I don't dwell on anything else. I know this was true for us when Mattie was in the hospital. Which is why I believe Legos are therapeutic tools and I appreciated the ability to separate from my problems for a while and create this beautiful symbol of love.

I put my Lego heart right by Mattie's Mr. Sun painting. Seemed very appropriate, as this heart symbolizes a love that can never be broken. 



No comments: