Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 29, 2024

Monday, January 29, 2024

 Monday, January 29, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. This was classic Mattie. He was in the middle of a physical therapy session in the hospital hallway, and don't you know it, he had an entourage. Mattie's psychosocial team was comprised of incredible women, who never came to a therapy session empty handed. As you can see Mattie was opening boxes, checking things out, and no therapy session was ever ordinary. Mattie's physical therapist, Anna, learned early on that she had to think way outside the box to get Mattie engaged, participating, and buying into the therapy process. She was the best and I will always be grateful for their incredible therapeutic connection they had with one another. 


Quote of the day: When you adopt a dog, you have a lot of very good days and one very bad day. ~ W. Bruce Cameron



My Sunman with his "Good Citizenship" certificate. We worked hard to achieve this document, but in all reality, Sunny was already well trained when we rescued him. The behavior classes were really more for me and I learned to give commands to Sunny. Sunny was the model dog, and made me LOOK good. In order to become a therapy dog, we first had to pass the good citizenship test! We did and the prize Sunny picked out that day was the red toy bone sitting in my lap.


The highlight of my day is that I went out with my friend Margy's daughter. Margy lost her battle to cancer in 2021. Her death was another huge loss in my life. Margy left behind many gifts for me such as her husband, daughter, and sisters. All of whom are big supporters of Mattie Miracle. In fact, Mattie Miracle runs the M&M (Margy and Mattie) Wishes program (which gives grants to children with cancer) in memory of Margy and the amazing childhood cancer advocacy work she did for over twenty years. Being with Margy's daughter today made me feel at times like I was actually with Margy. There are so many similarities and like my time with Margy, Kristy and I can talk up a storm too. In those two hours, I felt more engaged with the world and I know my mom enjoyed the conversation too. 

I think it is rather ironic that in the last four days, I have heard the song, Brave (video below)! I happen to love this song and used it for one of our Foundation Walk videos. I heard it at the grocery store and now today while having lunch. Naturally I know this song wasn't played just for me, because it is a popular song, it isn't unusual to hear it when out and about. But given the many adjustments in my life, the words mean so much more to me now. When I hear it, it is like the inner mantra that plays in my head. It takes a great deal of bravery to even get out of bed in the morning and then to have a full day of caregiving, putting out figurative fires, and managing non-stop tasks. 

Each day I ask God for strength, courage, love, bravery, and most of all hope. 

No comments: