Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 6, 2024

Friday, September 6, 2024

Friday, September 6, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in his first month of treatment and our neighbor gifted Mattie, Dandy Dog. Dandy Dog was a hand designed bear, that my neighbor had made for Mattie. Mattie thought this was the neatest gift, because the bear was his size. Mattie was trying to show the camera what he looked like side by side to Dandy Dog. This weekend, I face the 15th anniversary of Mattie's death and it is hard to wrap my head around the fact that Mattie was been gone much longer than he was alive. Yet in his seven years on this earth, he taught me so much and his presence will never be forgotten. 



Quote of the day: A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along. ~ J.S.B. Morse


I saw tonight's quote and my immediate and sincere reaction is I DON'T agree at all! Our hearts can feel broken over many things. I know because my heart certainly has had lots of experience being hurt. However, the death of Mattie and the end of my marriage provide me with NO growing pains! Rather just devastation! These pains were NOT necessary in my life and I assure you, the real thing will never come along. Especially since I believed I had the REAL THING to begin with. I won't allow "the real thing" to occur in the future. I know my heart. I lost Mattie, and he wasn't replaceable. I feel the same way about my marriage. I may become divorced, but in my mind and heart the 36 years I had with my husband (the person I considered my other half) is a pain and loss that is so intense it's indescribable. It has left me with so many questions about trust, love, and commitment, that I will not subject myself to another long term relationship ever again. I do not know why trite statements and platitudes are dished out when someone is in pain. It certainly doesn't help the recipient, and I would say it actually compounds the pain. 

Given that Sunday marks the 15th anniversary of Mattie's death, I wanted to post another classic Mattie video. We took him to Butterfly World in Florida. Watch Mattie interacting with a bird and then how he reacts to a bird flying on top of his head. To me this is priceless! 


This will be the first anniversary of Mattie's death that I will be visiting his memorial tree without Peter. This used to be our tradition. It is hard to know how to cope with such a profoundly horrific anniversary, but Mattie's tree grounded us. The tree was something Peter and I shared and were passionate about together. 

This weekend, I will be putting ribbons on Mattie's three trees and placing 15 butterfly ornaments on his White Swamp Oak tree. 

No comments: