Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 5, 2024

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. That day Mattie received this special gift from my former student and friend, Susan. The gift started as a lump of clay that had plastic dinosaur bones embedded in it. Once he dug through the clay and collected all the bones, he could fit them together to form a dino model! Mattie spent hours sitting onto of a sheet that lined the hospital floor, had goggles on and was picking at the clay to reveal all the bones. It was like a mini-excavation. It was the perfect activity for Mattie. After working on this big dig and assembly, Mattie paused and put his head down. This was when I snapped this photo. It wasn't posed, but rather the reflection of being tired and proud of his accomplishment.  


Quote of the day: When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead, keep your head up high and gaze into heaven, for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal. ~ Anonymous


This morning, I swear I heard a sound in my ear while I was sleeping. It sounded like a fly buzzing about. When I looked around I saw nothing. So I went back to sleep. But about thirty minutes later it happened again, just when my alarm was set to go off. Either I was imagining there was a fly in my room, or there really was a fly! Nonetheless the sound was very real. When I woke up annoyed, I looked at my phone and received many alerts regarding my dad's accounts. Truly my life is one fire drill after the other. In the past, if I received such alerts, I would have immediately asked Peter for help. Peter was not just my best friend and husband, but he was my go to person. My tech support, my gadget guy, the person who could fix anything, solve all sorts of problems, and overall be there to emotionally support me through the little things and life's crises. It is a huge loss to my life, as if a piece of me has been surgically removed. 

After feeding Indie, I literally ran to the computer to see what was recommended to fix this problem. If you haven't heard about this big data breach, here is an article about it. Given the monitoring companies we use, they can tell you where the possible breach is coming from and how to resolve it. Literally at 6:30am, I was learning about freezing credit and so forth. In other words another fire to put out! Once that was addressed, it wasn't like I could take a deep breath and relax. NOT possible in my house, because I had to get it together, so that I accomplish my morning routine and get my dad to his podiatry appointment by 11am. Sounded like this meant I had a lot of time, but it really isn't. I map out my morning to the minute. Having this scare and derailment this morning sent me scrambling. 

It was a day of one chore, one bill, one issue after the other. It is 7pm, and I feel like I have gone five rounds. But at the end of the day, I would manage, handle, and cope with just about anything, if I understood what on earth happened to my marriage and the person I have held dear for 36 years. I get very connected to the people I care about and there are moments in my day when I evaluate my life, and truly say, what's the point?! Everything that I believed, valued, and held to be true is no longer my reality and this has left me disillusioned and forever changed.

No comments: