Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 27, 2013

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. What I love about this photo was I caught Mattie in action. He loved running around our home in his "tot wheels" and that particular day Mattie spied a drawer where I keep silverware. So he walked himself over and literally started pulling at the drawer until it opened as he could explore the contents inside.


Quote of the day: People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences will have resonances with our own innermost being, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive. ~ Joseph Campbell


It has been quite a wild 24 hours for us. At 1am this morning, Peter became very ill. It was non-stop vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and intense stomach pains. The amount of fluids he lost between 1am to 5am was overwhelming. He couldn't keep anything down. By 4am, I insisted he take zofran, which is a prescription anti-emetic. I use zofran to combat nausea from migraines, and based on my experiences with it, I know it works. It worked for Mattie temporarily too, until he needed a much stronger anti-emetic for his chemotherapy. Naturally the fear was Peter wouldn't hold down the zofran, but fortunately he did. Nonetheless, he is very weak and my fear is that he will get dehydrated.

This illness hit Peter very quickly and thankfully at the moment I am fine. If we were both hit with this, it would have been awful because Peter is totally out of commission and too weak to care for himself. I know there is an outbreak of Norovirus going around, but I had no idea it would hit our household this week. I went to the CDC website, and copied some information about Norovirus below. The way to avoid Norovirus is to constantly wash your hands. Which is ironic, since Peter is always washing his hands and practices excellent hygiene, another unfortunate skill learned from living 15 months in a PICU. I must say however that any kind of sickness within our home brings back bad memories for me. My natural instinct now is to panic and worry that an illness is more than just a virus. In Peter's case I am able to rationalize that this is indeed a virus and it will go away, but the impact of Mattie's battle remains alive and well within me always!

From the CDC.............................

Norovirus is a very contagious virus. You can get norovirus from an infected person, contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. The virus causes your stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis). This leads you to have stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and to throw up.

Anyone can be infected with norovirus and get sick. Also, you can have norovirus illness many times in your life. Norovirus illness can be serious, especially for young children and older adults.

Norovirus causes inflammation of the stomach or intestines or both. This is called acute gastroenteritis. The most common symptoms—
  • diarrhea
  • throwing up
  • nausea
  • stomach pain
Other symptoms—
  • fever
  • headache
  • body aches
If you have norovirus illness, you can feel extremely ill and throw up or have diarrhea many times a day. This can lead to dehydration, especially in young children, older adults, and people with other illnesses. Most people with norovirus illness get better within 1 to 3 days.

Symptoms of dehydration—
  • decrease in urination
  • dry mouth and throat
  • feeling dizzy when standing up

Needless to say, I never left our home today. I am working on little to no sleep, and poor Peter can't get comfortable and rest. In the midst of this depressing day I had a visit from a beautiful cardinal. RARELY do we get cardinal sightings in DC. However the cardinal was one of Mattie's favorite birds. Most likely because it was his favorite color! Any case, when I saw this bird today, I thought I was having a Mattie visit.


As my readers know, Patches is battling cancer. Yet despite her failing health she continues to live up to her well earned title, "Nurse Patches." Patches stays close when you are sick and never leaves you alone. She does this for both Peter and I. I learned this many, many years ago, and I can't tell you how special it is to have such a companion when you aren't feeling well! Today, Patches climbed into bed with Peter and remained by his legs for hours.
 

Later in the day, Peter migrated down to our couch. Again, "Nurse Patches" was on the scene and even as I write this, both the nurse and the patient are lying side by side.
 

No comments: