Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 21, 2013

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie was home recovering from his second limb salvaging surgery. Our living room was transformed with a hospital bed in it and as you can see Nurse Patches settled in on Mattie's bed. One could say that she was there to enjoy the new bed and blankets, but knowing Patches, I realize she was there because she deemed herself part of the family and wanted to lend her support.







Quote of the day: Cats do care. For example they know instinctively what time we have to be at work in the morning and they wake us up twenty minutes before the alarm goes off. ~  Michael Nelson


It was a challenging day for both Peter and I in different ways. Peter had a morning and night time routine with Patches. Like Michael Nelson's quote points out about cats, Patches was better than any alarm clock. She always woke up minutes before Peter's alarm clock would go off. Mind you Peter's wake up time wasn't always consistent. So the question is how did she know? Peter always joked that Patches must have checked his alarm clock the night before to know when she had to rise the next day. Waking up without a Patches greeting today was unsettling for Peter and certainly there was no furry friend to greet him by the door when he returned from work.

Before Patches recently lost her hearing, she had an instinct and could hear/sense Peter climbing up the staircase in our building to get to our unit. In fact, I could always tell when Peter was coming home from work by Patches movements and her circling by our front door. In many ways I think Patches thought she was a person.

As Peter had his Patch routines, I too had my own. As soon as I woke up and my feet touched the floor in the morning, Patches would be there in a flash to greet me. She watched, almost frustrated at times, as I made the bed, and then quickly shuttled me downstairs for a snack or a treat. This has been our routine for over a decade. Since January, when she began to be noticeably sick, our routine began shifting. She became more sedentary, however despite that, she was ALWAYS watching me. This morning as I was gathering things to do laundry in our complex, there was no Patches around inspecting what was going in the laundry cart and later in the morning as I was putting laundry away, there was no Patches watching me as if I was a tennis ball in a tennis match. Patches used to watch me going up and down the stairs carrying laundry. I took it for granted, but today, I found that I missed the furry observations and commentary.

One of the highlights of my day today was receiving flowers from my friend Carolyn. Carolyn knows I love sunflowers, lilies, and butterflies. Look at that glorious purple butterfly on this arrangement! Patches actually would have loved this delivery because when the florist came to my door, he had the base of the basket in a box. As I removed the basket and placed it on the table, I put the box near Patches' perch. I did this almost out of instinct. Because a box by the perch was a sign to Patches that the box was hers! So this beautiful gift evoked Patches memories, which made me smile.


I spent the entire day at home working. I am knee deep in literature reviews for a Foundation think tank working group that I am a part of. Doing this kind of work reminds me of my days in graduate school. It is easy to get absorbed in computer searches and before you know it the day just drifts by. Later this evening, Peter and I got together with my friend Annie. I met Annie while doing advocacy work on Capitol Hill two years ago. Annie lost her daughter Eloise in May of 2010, eight months after Mattie. When I met Annie, we instantly gravitated to each other, and whenever she comes to town, we get together. Tonight, we had the opportunity to meet her husband as well and I was happy Peter got a chance to connect to another dad who lost a child to cancer. I always appreciate my chats with Annie because our perspectives are similar and we both call things as we see them. It is always comforting to me that when I experience the world a certain way and think something is off or wrong with me, that Annie can share or email with me how she is feeling. Then we quickly determine the issues don't lie with us, but they lie within the situation or fate we have been dealt. That doesn't resolve our issues, but it does make a difference to know we are not alone!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not alone, keeping busy is good therapy and your work has great purpose.