Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 19, 2018

Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday, January 19, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. Mattie was 10 months old and in his "tot wheels," he could move around easily. He was a speed racer in fact and for the longest time, we had skid marks all over our floors from his zooming around. Mattie desperately wanted to walk. In fact, he skipped crawling altogether! Mattie loved the freedom that walking in his tot wheels gave him. As you can see, he was a curious fellow. He would zoom around, then stop on occasion and check out the furniture and open drawers!


Quote of the day: Housework can kill you if done right. ~ Erma Bombeck


I came across tonight's quote and it made me laugh! I would say chores in general can kill you, forget about only the housework. Over the last couple of days I have heard more cancer stories than I can absorb. Even today, as I started the Foundation's Walk plans, I had the opportunity to interact with some of our event sponsors. I had sponsors write to me today about how cancer has touched their lives personally and why what Mattie Miracle is doing is so important. 

Between Foundation work and walking Sunny, my days can fly by. Yet since the Fall, I have been making a conscious effort to stop and attend my zumba class. When my alarm went off this morning, it was pitch black outside and I was tired. I really did not want to get up to go to class, but I did! My instructor is absolutely lovely and she never comes to a class without a smile. Her demeanor is charming, warm, and energizing. I told her today that she exudes positivity. I really think that makes a difference and it is not surprising that she has quite a devoted following. As some of her students have been with her for 9 years.  

It seems to me that when we sense someone is kind and treats you with kindness, it is amazing what types of results this produces. Think about it for yourself, when you receive kindness (at work, in a hospital, with a school teacher, etc), isn't even the hardest task more manageable? I know when Mattie was undergoing cancer treatment, there were some people he was more eager to listen to, to work with, because he knew they understood him, were patient, and simply put..... were kind. Kindness made a blood draw more bearable, a scan more doable, and managing pain more tolerable! There is NO rule book on how to be kind and it is hard to quantify and assess. Yet we all know what it feels like when we receive it. 

No comments: