Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 1, 2019

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on September 4, 2008. Mattie was about a month into treatment and already things were getting overwhelming. So much so that Mattie created a safe space out of a cardboard box. Living in a hospital is not easy and if you have been hospitalized for any period of time you know what I am talking about. People are constantly hovering over you, poking and prodding you, and there is no privacy. Instead a total lack of control sets in. This was Mattie's way of controlling his space for just a few minutes, separated from people and noises. 




Quote of the day: Every three minutes in the USA, a family hears.... 'your child has cancer.'  


As we are officially into September, the childhood cancer community is now kicking it into full gear to promote facts about childhood cancer and to spread awareness through a go GOLD campaign. As gold is the official color of childhood cancer. GOLD will be publicized through social media, ads, marketing campaigns, and will even be displayed visually. As many advocates work hard to get their local buildings and bridges to light up gold for September. I would have to say whatever awareness has been created about childhood cancer has come from the grass roots level. 

I would like to say that seeing GOLD makes me feel better, instills hope, or makes me feel that childhood cancer is getting the attention it deserves. Unfortunately I am not one of the believers in this! Mainly because I have seen very little change or happen on the national level to aid in research or support for children with cancer and their families (a segment typically forgotten). Naturally I think all good change starts at the grass roots level, but other things also need to happen in tandem for true change to occur. Which is why it would make sense for childhood cancer organizations to align and work together. As unity creates strength in numbers. But that is an issue for another blog, as I have learned all too well the dysfunction that exists in our non-profit segment. I am not saying that childhood cancer non-profits hold a monopoly on dysfunction, I am simply saying that when I started in this space ten years ago, my hope was for camaraderie among organizations especially since many of us had a child die from cancer.   

I think grief motivates many of us, but at the same time it also makes us all look for our uniqueness, ways to shine, and to therefore keep our own child's memory alive. I do know that any time Mattie Miracle is asked to collaborate with another organizations, I have to do my due diligence to understand the intentions behind the ask because unfortunately in our first couple of years of operation we were burned. However, it only took me one time to get up to speed!

I found some photos to post tonight to show you how some cities turn GOLD in September. This is Dallas.
A park in Kansas City, MO.
Sydney, Australia
Wells Fargo in Norfolk, VA
The Boston Red Sox
Major League Soccer
National football

No comments: