Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 26, 2021

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in the outpatient clinic, and working at his favorite place... the art table. Mattie did not like the outpatient clinic as much as the inpatient setting. I am not sure why, perhaps it was because he spent most of his time inpatient and that environment and the people there were more familiar to him. However, when he was in the outpatient clinic, he always went straight for the art area. Mattie was all about creating, building, and having people join in his plan. 




Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 42,931,259
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 688,032



Peter and I spent a good portion of the day trying to unpack things we had stacked in the basement. We were at it for about six hours. While I was unpacking, Peter was working on building out the storage closet, so that I have a place to organize and store things. 


Today's progress! In our townhouse in DC, I had an amazing walk in closet. You wouldn't believe all that I stored in there! It was impressive, but I was only able to do that because Peter installed shelving for me. We actually dismantled our shelving in DC and brought it to the house. 

Some of the items I had to organize were photos! That is NEVER easy. I went through some of the books I created over the years. This is of course before digital photography. In any case, I took this photo years ago of Peter trying to work and Patches, our calico, providing supervision. 
Peter obviously took this photo of me. This was life as a graduate student. Books and papers everywhere. I don't miss those days at all. 
In our basement, there is a storage closet. But in all reality, there was NO storage. That is until Peter spent some time with this closet today. 
Peter's handy work! This will give me lots of places to organize and store Mattie's things, Foundation things, and whatever else comes our way!



1 comment:

Cheryl said...

You and Peter make an incredible team! I love the new organization!