Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 30, 2021

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was home between treatments and was outside in our commons area with our neighbor JP and resident Jack Russell, JJ. Mattie and JJ practically grew up together. Mattie loved playing with JJ, until he got his limb salvaging surgeries. After that point, Mattie was always frightened of falling and hurting himself. Therefore, it changed his relationship with JJ the dog. Yet JJ continued to love Mattie, and after Mattie died, JJ was depressed for months. It is hard to believe that both Mattie and JP are no longer with us. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 43,445,267
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 696,717


Sunny is finally putting weight on his back leg, which was operated on 9 days ago. Yet walking with him continues to be challenging. Mainly because I have to walk with him in a sling, and he is heavy, not steady on his feet, and despite the fact that he can't go far, his brain is telling him to walk and walk and walk. In fact, he gets head strong with me when I try to turn him around to head back home. By this point, he should only be walking about ten minutes total at a time. But today, he and I walked (and I use that term loosely) for an hour. By the time I got him home, I felt like I went through a major work out. 

I got it in my head today that I was going to do all the paint touch up jobs in the house rather than pay the painting company MORE money. So I got the painter's tape out and lined the staircase. The problem is when the wood on the stairs was sanded and restained, the stain got on the paint around the staircase. Painters charge you by the hour and frankly just getting the tape down took a lot of time. In addition, with moving and having all sorts of contractors in some of the baseboards and walls got dinged. I went at it today and worked on it all day, between conference calls. Hopefully tomorrow in the daylight I will see how the touch ups worked out and will then be able to continue painting in the garage. Peter and I decided to also paint the garage ourselves. Therefore, it was another busy day on the Farm. Though I know no other type of day here. 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wow! Just wow!! Your poor back! Sunny hasn't got the message to slow down much. I'm keeping Sunny and both of you in my prayers! (Your home is more incredible and beautiful each day.)