Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 6, 2021

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on October 17, 2008. Mattie was three months into treatment and that day he went to his school's campus to meet up with a friend. While there, the football team was practicing. They all came over to take photos with Mattie and to do a team cheer. The reason this was all possible was because the team's coach was a big supporter of Team Mattie. In the midst of thorough chaos and living on the edge day to day, I also had the opportunity to see a side of people within our community that was awe inspiring. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 44,019,917
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 706,861


My alarm went off at 6am, and I honestly did not know what hit me. It was dark outside and I felt like I just went to sleep. But then it hit me..... the painters are coming this morning and I have to pull it together. They arrived at 8:30am and so far have been at it for 8 hours. Mind you they are painting a small area. You wouldn't think it would take that long. Of course given that the walls were an olive green, it has taken multiple coats of paint to transform them to Medici Ivory. It is my hope that within a day or so, I will have a fully functioning laundry room and I  won't have to play multiple chairs. After all I can't keep much in that room now because first I had electricians in there for months, then I had people laying down tile, then I had people drywalling, and now painting. 

Yet I remember that only about a month ago, doing laundry meant going outside my townhouse, in order to get inside the complex's lobby, to an elevator that took me down two floors to the basement. Naturally I couldn't carry my laundry and detergent all this way, so I had a wheeled cart. For 27 years this is how I have done laundry, even with a baby in tow. That may sound overwhelming to some of my readers, but since I had done it for so long, it was commonplace to me! Though I have to admit that doing laundry in such a situation was a full day's exercise. Because there were only 6 machines that served many units. So depending on when you wanted to do laundry competition was fierce. Therefore in all reality, I have nothing to complain about. 

One of the highlights of my day is I signed up for an advanced grief counseling certification training program. This is about a 20 hour program, that I can take on my own time line, but something that I think will be valuable for me personally as well as in my work with Mattie Miracle. Typically I don't like being glued to a computer, but it does open up opportunities to learn, and gives you control as to when you can and want to tune in!

No comments: