Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 15, 2022

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009, on the day of Mattie's sternotomy. This was a sight Peter and I got used to seeing... Mattie post surgery with IVs everywhere, bandages, drains, pressure cuffs, catheters, and a very weak and typically in pain child. It was hard to see your child like this and frankly no matter how much time lapses, I am not sure this is something that will ever be erased from my mind. 






Quote of the day: If we value our children, we must cherish their parents. ~ John Bowlby


My dad went to his memory care center today. While he was gone I tried to do some work and was on a conference call. By mid-day, I took my mom out for a salad, as leaving the house is important for mental sanity. 

The restaurant we went to had an outdoor patio. My mom loves the heat, so we decided to sit outside. It did not last long because we ran into a psycho squirrel. I am NOT a big squirrel fan to begin with. Typically I stay clear of them. As we approached the table, the squirrel circled around us and the table. As if we were getting too close to his nest. However, this table wasn't anywhere near the greenery. In any case, as I moved the chair to sit down, the squirrel jumped on my leg. Fortunately I had the menus against my leg and he hit the menu and did not touch my skin. I batted the squirrel away as if he was a tennis ball. That did not STOP him. He kept after us and then literally jumped on the arm of the woman next to us. That was enough. We never sat down. Instead, I went inside the restaurant to complain and asked for a table inside. However, I really wanted the management to know that there is a serious squirrel problem outside. This one isn't a cute furry fellow, but a menace that is bound to bite and scratch someone soon!

Typically when you get close to a squirrel, it will run away. A sick squirrel is more likely to display aggressive or hostile behavior towards people. Did you know that the teeth of squirrels are constantly growing, so they need to be worn down daily with plenty of gnawing. Able to chew through wood, plastic, rubber, and even metal with their strong teeth, these pests can deliver painful bites that draw blood. While healthy squirrels will not bite unless provoked, the chances of getting rabies from a squirrel bite is unlikely, as they very rarely become infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans. With that said,  being bitten by a squirrel can possibly contain pathogens and/or diseases due to the animal’s feral lifestyle. 

All I can say is I am thrilled that I wasn't bitten by this psycho squirrel today and when I got home I wrote a formal complaint to the restaurant. I am a nature lover, but having an aggressive squirrel on the lose serves no one and it is a matter of time until it strikes out at a person or child. I will be curious if the restaurant responds to me, because what I do know is the lack luster response I received inside the restaurant wasn't appreciated. 

No comments: