Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 14, 2022

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Tuesday, June 14, 2022 -- Mattie died 663 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in the Spring of 2006. Mattie was in preschool, and Peter visited that day. Despite Peter's work schedule, he made time to engage with Mattie's school, to volunteer, and he even did a coconut cutting presentation for the children. Mattie's teacher, snapped this photo that day in class and sent it to me. It is truly hard to grasp that both Mattie and his teacher, Margaret, are no longer alive. 





Quote of the day: Sometimes our work as caregivers is not for the faint of heart. But, you will never know what you’re made of until you step into the fire. Step bravely. ~ Deborah A. Beasley


I consider myself a very organized person who can manage multiple things at one time. But balancing the care of my parents is a full time job times ten. I spend every waking moment jumping from one task or chore to the other. Never accomplishing much for myself. To say I am frustrated some days is an understatement beyond proportion. 

On an aside, I was reading to my parents this morning the daily news from my dad's memory care center. The news is always historical, interesting, and at times funny. One of today's passages was about MAILING babies and children through parcel post. I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading, so I did a little digging and indeed at one point in time (~1913) Americans mailed children through the actual mail. I mean literally, by attaching stamps to their coats. It was cheaper to buy the stamps to send a child by Railway Mail than to buy him or her a ticket on a passenger train.

This happened to about 7 children in total. I included the link for you to read it for yourself: https://www.history.com/news/mailing-children-post-office

Mailing babies was never the goal of the new parcel system and once the authorities realized that people were using it outside its intended purpose, they put a stop to it. In 1920, the Post Office Department officially put an end to baby mail. This was after new postal regulations barring the mailing of human beings were enforced. 

The first child to be sent via mail was James Beagle in 1913. He was an eight-month old baby who weighed 10 and 3/4 pounds and was sent from Ohio to his grandmother’s house in Batavia (also in Ohio). His parents paid 15 cents for postage and $50 for insurance.

All I could think was this was a very different world back then! The article mentions that people weren't turning their children over to strangers. That in many cases they knew their postal people very well. The mailmen actually road the mail train with the children, tended to them, cared for them if ill, and hand delivered the children to their destination. I can't imagine this whatsoever given my 2022 lens. Not sure if you find this as fascinating as me, but thought I would share this tidbit from today. 

No comments: