Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 17, 2022

Friday, June 17, 2022

Friday, June 17, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. As you can see, Mattie was wiped out. It took a lot to knock him out, but cancer and multiple surgeries took their toll. That day, Mattie's friend in cancer, Jocelyn, gave him "sunshine." Sunshine was a stuff animal, an albino boa to be specific. Jocelyn knew Mattie met a live albino boa at his 7th birthday party, so she got this plush fellow as a reminder. Sunshine traveled around with us and to this day, Sunshine remains in my bedroom at home. It is hard to believe that Mattie and Jocelyn both died from osteosarcoma. 


Quote of the day: Perspective is an incredibly powerful tool. It tempers how we receive information, and guides what we choose to do with it. ~ T. A. Sorensen


After my usual routine, I got my dad in his recliner around 11am, and then finished the Foundation Walk 2022 video. I have no idea if others truly enjoy or appreciate these videos. But I know I do, and it is a wonderful illustration of the energy around our virtual event. I greatly appreciate people wearing orange and supporting us each and every year. The loyalty of our supporters is a true miracle and one that does not go unnoticed or appreciated. 

The video actually takes me about a month to put together. It was funny, one day while driving to get groceries (about a week before the Walk in May), I heard a snippet of a song on the radio. It really captured me, especially its lyrics... this goes out to the drifters, and to the dreamers...." The song is upbeat and energetic and my immediate thought was..... this is perfect for the Walk video. Because I did not hear the song from the beginning, I had to google the lyric I heard and learned that the song's title is Wild Heart by Keith Urban. 

After the Walk is over, it takes me about a week to locate all photos from the event and to download them from the Internet. Then of course from there I have to create a storyboard for the video. All in all, this project took me weeks, and frankly given all that I balance on any given day, I am amazed I put this together. I say that because I no longer have moments of time where I can sit still and concentrate. I am constantly being pulled away and juggling various needs at one time. 

Needless to say, I am pleased with how the video turned out and it is just in time, as I am in the midst of writing our June newsletter, headed to go out electronically next week. The video has historically been featured in our post-Walk newsletter, and I am a person who likes to stick to tradition. 


Mattie Miracle's Walk 2022 Video: 

No comments: