Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 13, 2022

Monday, June 13, 2022

Monday, June 13, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the hospital recovering from his sternotomy. The little R2D2 Star Wars figure you see in front of Mattie was given to him by his lung surgeon (I have it still!). This was an incredible doctor, who was not only extremely competent, but very compassionate and cared about his patients. SO MUCH so that we NEVER saw a resident. He personally visited Mattie post-surgery. 

By the time Mattie needed lung surgery, Peter and I were skilled at understanding the hospital system. So we told this surgeon we wanted a pre-surgical meeting with the team. Ensuring that everyone was on the same page about the surgery and most importantly recovery! Though this surgeon never had such pre-meetings before, he complied and organized one. After the meeting was over, he thanked us for having the meeting and understood why it was vital for our family. Do you know that even now, this surgeon is a yearly Mattie Miracle contributor?!


Quote of the day: Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. ~ Christopher Germer


Tonight's quote resonates with me, particularly because I am very hard on myself. If I have a negative thought or feel angry, I interpret this as something is wrong with me. As if I am not entitled to these feelings and that I have to snap out of it. However, then I stop and think to myself..... how would someone else in my same position feel? I truly believe that most people doing what I do day in and day out would have cracked up by now. As I am not just providing care to my dad, I am caring for my mom, Sunny with cancer, this large house, and trying to run a Foundation. 

My parents occupy my every breathing hour. Today my mom made an appointment to meet up with a former student of mine. I would love for my mom to jump into the car herself, get to the meeting, and be able to have this connection without my involvement. But those days have long passed, and my involvement is now necessary. For those of you who know me well, I would imagine I am viewed as a listener who absorbs what people say and therefore am there to help and support. I believe this is how people have experienced me so when they meet with me now, for consistency sake, they most likely expect the same person. Certainly I can be this person, but now listening, emoting, and providing feedback takes energy. Energy I no longer have to expend. Instead now I need to be the talker, to be heard, not lectured to, but provided the outlet to be understood and supported.

When I am around others who tell me about their full lives, what they are accomplishing, and where they are going, I am happy for them on one hand and on the other, I think to myself..... what has become of my life? I have spent most of my adult life either caring for someone or dealing with a crisis. I have nothing to talk about now that is "normal." My life is filled with tracking bowel movements, helping with all activities of daily living, dolling out medication, and  providing structure, routine, and stability to two older adults. I am not saying this isn't an important job, as I know it is, but at the same time, I once again realize that most people can't relate to what I am doing, nor would want to. Therefore, this limits conversation and makes my life very isolating. This place of isolation is one I am quite familiar with and ironically I spent so many years after Mattie died, trying to re-stabilize. Whatever work I have done, I feel like I am back to square one and despite re-arranging my life for my parents, I find that nothing is ever good enough and someone is always unhappy. 

No comments: