Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 6, 2022

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. That day I took Mattie to visit Peter at his office. Mattie took over Peter's white board and began drawing. As you can see Mattie drew a sun and a tree. Of course there was always a vehicle involved. But a tell tale sign of a Mattie picture was the sun. Which was why the sun became part of Mattie Miracle's logo.


Quote of the day: Grief changes shape, but it never ends. ~ Keanu Reeves


After cleaning up the breakfast dishes, I sat down to do brain games with my dad. Given that his doctor wants him to read, I have been trying to work with him on reading comprehension. The book I am using is at the 5th grade level. Not because my dad has trouble reading words, he can. But he retains very little information and can't process and put information together. So in essence the 5th grade reading level is very challenging for him. For example, today's passage (which involves about 8 paragraphs of information) focused on a young girl visiting the zoo with her parents and brother. While there the girl expressed interest in animals and how she'd love to be around them all day. The father suggested that his daughter talk to the zookeeper, a couple of feet away, to learn more about this job. So the family approached the zookeeper and the remainder of the passage, involved information the zookeeper shared with the young girl. The zookeeper discussed how she has a degree in zoology and that zookeepers do not teach the animals to do tricks. Zoo allow animals to behave like they would in their natural habitats. Also the purpose of doing tricks is for entertainment and that isn't the mission of the zoo. 

One of the reading comprehension questions was why don't zookeepers train animals to do tricks? A simple question, but for my dad, it was impossible. All he kept saying was that tricks were not in the zookeeper's job description. The more I kept explaining why tricks weren't taught by zookeepers, the more confused he got. I honestly thought I was going to put my head through the wall. No matter how easy and step by step I made the explanation, it did not matter. This truly gives me a greater understanding for his processing problem and memory issue. 

However with my dad it is very hard to tease out what is a cognitive problem and what is sheer disinterest. My dad is basically disinterested in about 90% of daily activities. The only thing he focuses on is food and basic needs. However our world is made up of more than eating and toileting. Unfortunately, my world revolves around these hourly needs.

This morning a teacher from Carderock Springs Elementary School in Maryland came to our home and delivered us three boxes of unopened candy. A very generous donation. The accumulation of items is significant and my hope is to organize it this week. 

Meanwhile, in between dealing with my parents, I am desperately trying to work on the Foundation's mass mailing. This mass mailing is one of our major fundraisers each year. Slowly we are working through the pieces, but now I am trying to clean up our database for this mailing. This is always a heavy lift every year. You would think I would have created a better system by now, but unfortunately now I am lucky I can keep my head above water. 

No comments: