Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 17, 2022

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2005. Mattie was three and half years old. Mattie loved his pajamas and he especially loved climbing and jumping on our bed. In fact, on the weekends, if I did not get up early enough, I would hear Mattie running down the hallway from his bedroom, into ours. He would then come over to my nightstand and literally stare at me. As if he could wish me to wake up! Some times I would indeed wake up but other times he resorted to climbing into bed next to me to make sure I was awake. Like Peter, Mattie loved the morning hours. 



Quote of the day: In days that follow, I discover that anger is easier to handle than grief. ~ Emily Giffin


My dad had his second to last physical therapy session today. Literally he has been doing therapy at the hospital since July 7th. Four months later, we have done speech, occupational, and now physical therapy. On December 1, it will be my dad's last session. Mainly because he has plateaued and there really isn't more the therapists can do with him. So now the trick is how to maintain what he learned. The weight falls on me, since my dad has NO memory of anything he has done with his therapists. Literally you can ask him five minutes after a therapy session is over what he did, and he truly can't tell you. 

The therapist and I have discussed getting him a personal trainer, skilled at working with people who have dementia to come to the home. I even found such a company, with licensed professionals. Of course the catch is health insurance will not cover it, it is an out of pocket service. I am discussing this with my parents and neither one of them seem open to this concept. But it would help me, and remove me from having to be my dad's therapist too. I find that he performs much better and works harder for a stranger than he will for me. So in this case, a personal trainer is a good option for him. 

Changing the subject, later today, I received an email from a parent of a child with cancer. The email said:

I wanted to reach out because I learned about the Standards of Care you guys worked on and I just wanted to say thank you, it was exactly the things I’ve felt like we needed support with all along but haven’t gotten. I’ve kind of felt crazy all along for wanting these kinds of support. I thought for a while maybe I was the only one struggling so much and that’s why none of these supports are in place as a Standard. As time has gone on I've realized I’m not alone and so many other families are struggling too, so again thank you for working to make sure those supports are put in place I think it’s so needed and so important. I also just wanted to say that if there’s anything I can do to help or share our story and how needed these things are I would love to help. I have the link for your Standards brochure and will share it with our hospital and I hope that’s a step in the right direction.


This message says it all! So many healthcare settings forget that childhood cancer is NOT just about the medicine. Which is why we started beating this drum in 2012, and haven't stopped yet. Ironically we have been making progress, but changing the healthcare system is a slow and complicated endeavor. However, we believe that now that the evidence based Standards exist, we need the help of families to demand this care from their institutions. Which is why in the next phase of the Standards research (which we received funding for), we will be capturing the voice, reflections, and insights of families who have a child with cancer. 

No comments: