Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 19, 2022

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2005. Mattie was three and a half years old and that weekend my lifetime friend, Karen, was visiting from NYC. As you can see, Mattie was keeping Karen busy and they were building a big blocked structure on our dining room table. Mattie wanted to show us that he was taller than what he built, so naturally he got right up on the dining room table to prove his point.  I am so glad that Karen got to meet Mattie when he was well, because it is hard to describe the essence of Mattie! Or let's put it this way, I can try to describe it but even my words do not do him justice.  


Quote of the day: You believe you could not live with the pain. Such pain is not lived with. It is only endured. I am sorry. ~ Erin Morgenstern


Today I felt like I was on a treadmill. I was on the go from the moment I woke up. I have prepped my parents for two days now, that Peter and I would be going out to dinner tonight with friends..... as they wanted to celebrate Peter's birthday. No matter how much I prepared my parents, neither one truly acknowledged these dinner plans. As I brought it up over breakfast that I would be going out to dinner without them, my mom had a fit. Because they like getting out of the house daily, I planned to take them out for lunch, so they could eat a heavy lunch and therefore not need dinner. When my mom heard I was going to take them out at 1:30pm today, she was less then pleased. She said it was too early and would not feel like eating at that hour. Honestly at times there is no reasoning with her. Mattie, who was 6, was far more compliant. 

All I know is there is no way I can go out without making sure their needs are met. Mainly because my mom can't function, cook, and serve food. So in reality, going out with friends is more problematic for me than staying home and sticking to the routine. Naturally one may say.... why not order food in? That would be an excellent thing to do, but again there are times rationalizing with my mom is just not worth it. I pick my battles. So instead I took them out at 3pm today, and of course I felt pressure to manage their schedule and my own. 

In the midst of all of this, I met with my neighbor today. They are going out of town for Thanksgiving and they want me to take care of their home. So I went in to see what they specifically wanted done. I haven't lived here long, but these neighbors really trust and like us. Which is an honor. 

I am signing off for tonight and hope going out does something for my mood! 


No comments: