Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 13, 2022

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. It was Peter's birthday and as always Mattie wanted to do something for his dad. So together Mattie and I baked a cake.... Peter's favorite, a lemon cake with vanilla frosting. Basically Mattie and Peter were alike on this front..... they were opposed to chocolate. I am so happy we celebrated these moments and I captured them on camera. 


Quote of the day: Death ends a life, not a relationship.  All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on- in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here. ~ Mitch Albom


Today is Peter's birthday. I would like to say I helped him have a relaxing and memorable birthday. But it wasn't even close. From an outsider's lens, you may say it was actually a disaster. I think when exhausted and living with chronic stress, things can be misperceived, or tempers can flair. Though I think I am doing as best as I can with my parents, in the process, I have made no room for anything else. It was clear to me today that at times Peter is talking to me, but I am not listening. Or I am listening but not acknowledging what he is truly saying. It is a hard reality for me to face, because no one likes to know that one's actions are hurting someone they love. 

Needless to say I was filled with all sorts of emotions today. Everything from anger, sadness, and true helplessness. As I can't see a clear path forward to resolving my situation and in the process I am clearly making no one happy. I can have rational epiphanies and I can also feel angry, because I am changing my entire life around to meet people's needs once again. I don't need an "at a girl," but I am quite sure the average person would have trouble juggling what I do. 

Despite my daily routine, I found a way to get Peter a few gifts. I can absolutely appreciate why he did not want to open them and taking a step back I understand the stresses he is living with.... full time caregiving, lack of freedom and control, and of course the one that isn't always discussed.... Mattie's death. Mattie's death is part of our daily lives, but on holidays and birthdays, his death hits us even harder. It forces us to see that another year has gone by, we are aging, and we do not have Mattie in our lives to brighten our future. As a future without your child is a bitter pill to swallow, not just on the day he died, but forever. 

Ironically to add humor to my day, my dad thinks Peter and I are in our 60s! He wanted to wish Peter a happy 62nd birthday! HONESTLY!!!! My dad has aged us dramatically and I corrected him. Though in his mind I guess 60 is very young!


We went out for an early dinner because we know by 5pm, my dad is wiped out and can hardly hold his head up. At the restaurant, Cheryl (one of our favorite servers), gave Peter a birthday card. The front of it says.... young man Peter and the sentiments inside were beautiful. 

Cheryl only knows a part of Peter and yet the part she sees is a good representation of him. I think Peter had to read these words and see what a difference he makes in the lives of others. To me these words make a very beautiful and meaningful gift. A gift that in essence helped to change the tone of our day. 


No comments: