Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 15, 2022

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Tuesday, November 15, 2022 -- Mattie died 685 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on November 12, 2008, the day before Peter's birthday. We were with Mattie in the pre-op area, as he was headed into a 14 hour long limb salvaging surgery. A surgery that would remove bones in his right leg, left arm and left wrist. It was a ridiculous hour of the morning, but fortunately we advocated for Mattie to be admitted to the hospital the day before. Otherwise, trying to get into the hospital at that hour would be stress beyond belief. Because every admission required new paperwork. Regardless of the fact that we were frequent flyers, coming in and out, for months by that point in time. I remember how stressed out we were that day and the fact that Mattie could smile was truly heroic. 


Quote of the day: Life seems sometimes like nothing more than a series of losses, from beginning to end. That's the given. How you respond to those losses, what you make of what's left, that's the part you have to make up as you go. ~ Katharine Weber


It was a day when my dad had nothing scheduled, no memory care program and no physical therapy. These days are rare. Therefore, I thought I would have some time to work on Foundation tasks. Forget it. I got derailed on scheduling my mom's physical therapy appointments for January, working with her doctor on getting a script for blood work and the list went on. Honestly it is very frustrating. When I finally found a rhyme of getting some work done, I had to stop because my mom wanted to go out for tea and a snack and she wanted me to take my dad along. Traveling anywhere with my dad is a show. It requires a tote bag filled with items to change him and his chair pad. Certainly I would not mind schlepping all of this stuff if I got the feeling this was good stimulation for him and he was enjoying what we are doing. He says his favorite thing is "being together." But wherever I take him, his head is usually down, eyes closed, and he is disengaged from the moment and conversation. This is actually very depressing day in and out. 

This afternoon, Peter mentioned Mattie's model magic birthday cake to me. Peter wanted to know where it was! I literally stopped in my tracks? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHERE IS IT? In my mind, it has been in Peter's office all this time. I know I saw it in there at some point. Make a long story short, I went room to room in the house and I CAN'T find Mattie's cake. That may not sound like a big deal, but to me it is like having an emotional crisis. I wanted to literally start screaming. But who is going to listen to me?! My parents were waiting to go out, so I had to put my internal meltdown somewhere to address their needs. I have no clue as to where Mattie's cake is! This cake was moved to this house from Washington, DC and it was on display for months. Who would take the cake? It has NO monetary value, only sentimental. I am  hoping the cake fairy visits us to help us get this special memento back or at least reveal where it maybe hiding. 

No comments: