Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 3, 2022

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and that weekend we took him to a local park in Virginia that had farm animals. As you can see, Mattie gravitated to animals. I absolutely love this photo of Mattie with this sheep. Almost like they were looking eye to eye and having a meeting of the minds. 


Quote of the day: What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us. ~ Helen Keller


This morning my dad had a doctor's appointment. This doctor is following him every two weeks, now that he started Ritalin. I explained to the doctor that I see no visible changes in my dad's energy level since starting Ritalin (two weeks ago). So as of today the dosage level has been increased and I am hoping it makes a difference, as I know it doesn't work for every older adult. While in the appointment, I know the doctor doesn't like me answering questions for my dad. I try to keep myself under control, but I know whatever comes out of my dad's mouth will NOT be accurate. 

In fact, when the doctor asked my dad if he has more energy now, his response was YES! Honestly! He has no idea. Then the doctor asked him the usual stuff...... what year is it, what month is it, and whose the president? My dad answered these questions without a problem. But if you ask him what you just said to him or what he had for breakfast this morning, he will have no idea. I mean NONE! Frankly in my opinion, my dad can't function independently and his lack of energy makes it truly difficult for the rest of us to function outside the home. 

To the appointment I bought my dad's daily journal and some cognitive brain game books that I use with him. The doctor requested to see them during our last visit. The doctor looked at all the books and then requested that I add a "word of the day" to my dad's daily routine, as he feels learning new words and using one's brain in this way is vital. So the doctor started the routine by giving my dad a word for today. It was gobsmacker. He then explained that the word means, stunning, astonishing. A few minutes later he asked my dad what the word of the day was and what it meant. My dad did not remember the word or what it meant. None of this surprises me as I deal with this daily. It is very stressful working with someone who can't absorb or retain anything you say or what's happening around you. 

I appreciate the need to learn new words, but frankly I feel my dad gets very little out of the countless brain games I do with him daily. Peter jokes that the only one working hard on these games is me. As my dad can't do any of these puzzles and books by himself. So I guess what is the point of doing any of this? I am under no delusion that my dad will develop learning and memory strategies from our daily cognitive exercises. I would like it if he did, and that certainly would provide positive feedback for the energy I expend. But I do these things to keep a routine and structure to my dad's day. If I did not do what I do, he would be a vegetable in a chair all day long. 

The doctor assumed that my dad never went to college, because I have him doing a 5th grade reading comprehension book. My dad corrected him and said he has two master's degrees. That surprised the doctor! I have no idea why! If this doctor is used to working with people with Alzheimer's then he should understand why I chose a 5th grade reading comprehension book. Not because my dad can't read, but because he has trouble retaining content and processing it together. The lower the reading level, the less content that is thrown at the reader. If I know this, why doesn't the doctor? 

It was a glorious weather day today. When I got home later in the day, I could have done more work, but I decided to stop and take Sunny for a walk. I needed the fresh air, time to myself, and to walk at a normal pace. 

Yesterday I got another shot of Prolia, for bone loss. All I know is the shot triggered a terrible migraine and exhaustion. So much so, that yesterday I took a two hour nap during the day. Which is totally unheard of for me. If I stop moving during the day, you know I have a problem. 

On another note, it is wonderful to see flowers blooming in our backyard in November!
How do you like our Christmas cactus? It is very happy in its new home and it enjoyed outdoor time this summer. It is now inside for the winter but we have had this plant for over ten years and a few years old it broke in half. I thought it was going to die, but it has since filled in and looks healthier than ever. 


No comments: