Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2023

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Tuesday, August 22, 2023 -- Mattie died 725 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. It was Mattie's first admission to the hospital for chemotherapy. I remember this day vividly, as we gathered in the hallway to make masks. Back then, there was NO child life playroom, so all activities took place in the middle of the hallways. Not ideal. Nonetheless, Mattie made this beautiful mask, and for years I had it on display, until it completely disintegrated. But what I won't forget is how crucial these art projects were for us, as they helped us focus on something else other than the life threatening illness that loomed over our heads. We learned the importance of art projects, during Mattie's first hospital admission. 

Quote of the day: If you’ve ever seen shimmery spots or flashing lights, or worse, experienced blind spots, you know that random visual disturbances can be mega creepy as far as health symptoms go. When spotty vision resolves fairly quickly, it’s easy to chalk it up to a bad week of sleep, your intense new hot-yoga regimen, or even just good old-fashioned aging. However, if you frequently experience bouts of temporary vision problems—with or without other symptoms like a headache, dizziness, or nausea—ocular migraine could be the reason. ~ Petra Guglielmetti


Since I am right in the midst of an ocular migraine attack, I will make this short. I took my dad to the doctor today, and instead of an allergy to his diabetes medication, the doctor thinks he is having a bad reaction to the antibiotic he put him on. My dad was on two courses of antibiotics because he has been scratching his skin non-stop. In the process, my dad created many open wounds. 

The doctor put him back on prednisone today for five days and wants him to resume the diabetes medication. I will comply, but to me the verdict is still out on the diabetes medication. Needless to say, the doctor wants me to call him tomorrow with an update, because what you see on my dad's feet and legs are all over his body. My dad is constantly scratching, up at all hours, and none of us have had a minutes peace for a month. 

No comments: