Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 23, 2023

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. It was Mattie's first admission to the hospital and that day he was sitting at the art table with his two art therapists (Jessie and Jenny). I can't tell you what a God sent these two women were to all of us. They helped to fill up the hours and minutes in the hospital in a positive way, and I can't tell you what insightful dialogue arose from Mattie around this table, while his hands and mind were busy creating. It was through the act of creating, that we learned about Mattie's inner thoughts, feelings, and fears. 


Quote of the day: When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~ Sophie Loren


I am happy to report that Prednisone and Melatonin are working for my dad. He is finally NOT scratching. I literally have been dealing with non-stop itchiness and scratching for over a month. Truly I thought I was going to go insane as there was NO visual explanation for his itching behavior. At first I thought it maybe a psychiatric thing, until I stopped and said..... is it a reaction to a medication? The answer was YES, but until we figured this out, WOW! 

My dad hasn't been sleeping well, up at all hours of the night scratching, and as a result, my mom hasn't been sleeping well either. I knew I had to get down to the bottom of this issue. I asked for steroids two weeks ago, but doctors are hesitant to prescribe them. If I had my way, my dad would be on steroids daily. He is more alert, engaged with the world, and has a better quality of life on steroids. But doctors do not agree with me. I would like them to come work with him on a daily basis and observe what I do! In any case, a day of not scratching is like receiving a miracle. For a month, I have been applying all sorts of creams, ointments, lotions on him around the clock, and having him wear sports sleeves and gloves to protect his skin. Because of his incessant scratching, he'd bleed all over the place, which meant more laundry than usual. I am worn out and Prednisone came just in time!

After I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, I took my mom to see the physical rehab doctor. He is the wonderful person prescribing physical therapy at the hospital and he is overseeing the physical health of both of my parents. I met this doctor when my dad was placed into acute rehab at the hospital in March of 2022. I knew right then and there that I had to continue this relationship, as he is a vital resource for my parents. Especially if they were to become hospitalized. I think the doctor is pleased with my mom's improvement in walking and balance, but he renewed her PT script and added work on her neck mobility. 

My mom felt good about her appointment. We then went out for tea and snacks before picking my dad back up. While eating we conversed about many of the stresses I am facing. My mom and I have different ways of dealing with problems, but the conclusion I came up with is that my mom does truly care about me, my future, and my overall health. Sometimes I wonder, but Sophie Loren's quote spoke to me today. As my mom maybe focused on herself most days, she doesn't forget about me and gave me the assurance I needed today, that reminded me that I can handle whatever life brings me. It meant a lot to me to have this vote of confidence, and to see that my life is much bigger than this particular moment in time. 

Switching subjects. Kim Richards (a wonderful local impressionist artist) is working with us to capture our house and its landscapes in four oil paintings. Right now, she is in the sketching phase and also uses gouache watercolor to give us an idea on colors. One of the sketches she did of our front yard was this, I happen to love it but we suggested she add Sunny and also provide more context with sky. 


Today, Kim sent us this sketch to incorporate some of our suggestions. Needless to say this is a process, which I am truly enjoying, and I love working with Kim. She teaches classes and one day in my future, I would love to become one of her students. I love to create, and I believe I am creative in different ways, but I think being able to paint would be a true gift. 


No comments: