Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 4, 2023

Monday, September 4, 2023

Monday, September 4, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. This was Mattie's second month on treatment and it was a rough evening. So Peter livened up the room by blowing up hospital gloves. Mattie then used the gloves like puppets and was trying to perform a show through his window for anyone who was in the hallway. Mattie's nurses were outstanding and they understood the psychosocial consequences of living with a life threatening illness and living around the clock in a pediatric intensive care unit. So rest assured, if they were anywhere near Mattie's window, they would have been reacting to Mattie's show! We were very lucky to have such an amazing team of women supporting us. 

Quote of the day: Everyone's got their poison, and mine is sugar. ~ Derrick Rose


This morning, after my usual routine, I tried to sit down with my dad and work on a puzzle of California. I realize a 500 piece puzzle is WAY TOO complicated for him, but the puzzle is for all of us. Therefore, we need a puzzle with many pieces. The task I had my dad work on with me was separating out the straight edge pieces from the other ones, so we could begin creating the border of the puzzle. 

No matter how many times I told my dad what we were looking for, I even showed him, and did a few sorts with him, he just couldn't get it. His memory is so bad that unless I kept saying... you are looking for straight edge pieces, every 30 seconds, he was lost. Needless to say, me, my mom, and Peter accomplished this much today. 

I took my parents back out to Maryland to see Dawn, one of our favorite servers. Going out to eat is our adventure for the day. It is something all three of us enjoy. We brought Dawn four cannoli's today in honor of Labor Day. 

Though we eat at this restaurant often, I never ordered the blueberry scones. All the bread products are made on-site, and their baker is excellent. Any case, Dawn brought several scones out for us on the house. YES sugar is my drug of choice and sugar can change my mood around, and quickly. Needless to say, this homemade scone was the highlight of day and I was thrilled traffic was light and moving. I try to look for the positives each day, otherwise, I most likely wouldn't be able to function. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David good you have nice family