Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 5, 2023

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Tuesday, September 5, 2023 -- Mattie died 727 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. We took Mattie to New York to be evaluated by Memorial Sloan Kettering. What an experience! In any case, between hospital appointments, we took Mattie to various sites in hopes that it would be a positive diversion. This photo was taken in front of the Natural History Museum, but as you can see, Mattie was in no mood for fun and games. We did tour the Museum, and we tried our best, but our hearts and minds were too bogged down with the impact of Mattie's diagnosis. 


Quote of the day: In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties. ~ Laurence J. Peter


Today was a winner of a day! On top of so many other winners. I got my parents out the door by 10:15am, which I assure you is a feat. My dad had an 11am follow up visit to his primary care physician. This doctor is monitoring his diabetes. Some of you may recall that I did NOT like the aesthetics of this doctor's office when we first visited in the spring. Recap, my parent's doctor retired. This is the doctor I typically referred to as, "dopey." Dopey was replaced with this new doctor, who is at a different location. The "new" doctor has been practicing for decades and though I do not like his physical space, he turns out to be stellar. He answers text messages, phone calls, takes my opinion into account, and has really been trying to do the right thing for my parents. FINALLY! My dad had a good visit today and will be monitored every three months, unless something else pops up. 

After the appointment, while in the car, I called my dad's podiatrist. I wanted the podiatrist to send the appropriate Medicare forms to the primary care doctor, for my dad's new shoes. That went smoothly. I then decided to call my endocrinologist's office to schedule my Prolia injection. The specialty pharmacy sent me a confirmation text saying that the drug was delivered last week. When I called my doctor's office, the staff said.... NO the drug was delivered to the wrong address and isn't at the office. The staff implied that I provided the WRONG address to the pharmaceutical company. Not only the wrong address, but the doctor's address from 15 years old. ABSOLUTE nonsense as I only met this doctor two years ago. I do not know about her old office and have no idea about its address. Truly I was livid. Livid because I know the office won't help me manage this problem. 

In fact, I spoke to my doctor's nurse, WHO I CAN'T STAND. She is the one I told on the phone during our last conversation that she...... "needed to do your job." Mind you this nurse called me today, I did not ask to speak to her, after already having a frustrating conversation with the office staff. This nurse told me the exact same thing as the staff.... that I provided the wrong address and now the pharmaceutical company will not resend the drug without me paying an additional $1,000! While having this conversation, I was at lunch with my parents, and I was so furious. I think every diner in the restaurant overhead my conversation. In fact, one person came up to me after I was done and said, "sorry for overhearing, but GOOD FOR YOU!" 

But at the end of the day, I know the endocrinology office isn't going to lift a finger to help me with this issue. So I am now back to square one, which is very frustrating, as it has been a three month long process just to get this missing dose delivered. My patience is fleeting, and there is NO REGARD to what I am already juggling!

No comments: