Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 24, 2023

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007. That day, Mattie and Peter invited me out on a rowboat. We traveled down the Potomac River. This was a regular occurrence for the boys, but on this rare occasion, Mattie wanted me along. Most likely to show me the skills he was learning. Naturally I never went anywhere without my camera!


Quote of the day: I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; Yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul. I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; Yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.Og Mandino


It was another depressing day in the National Capital region. Rain, more rain, and grayness. This kind of weather impacts my mood and spirit. Overall it was not a good weekend for me. However, no matter how I feel, I have to keep it together as I am caring for both of my parents, who are very dependent. 

I have found the only way to survive difficult times is to keep busy. Or as I call it, having.... diversions! I would say this is how I lived my life during the first six months after Mattie's died. Back then I wasn't sure which way was up or whether I had the energy to even shower. But somehow back then I got involved in craft projects and became glued to Hallmark Movies. I remember literally sitting in bed, with the TV on and craft items all over the bed. That was my therapy. 

My current therapy is constant activity! Cooking, cleaning, caring for my parents, Sunny, and Indie. Though I could have had a meltdown in the corner today, I did not. I went grocery shopping, walked through the food aisles (which I happen to like), and then came home and baked halibut, yams, and made an arugula salad. Good food and eating brings me happiness. There are times I can feel bursts of anxiety coming on or even a migraine with nausea. But I try to work through these feelings and walking outside to see Sunny (even in the rain) is another gift. 

No comments: