Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 2, 2023

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. To me this was a priceless photo! Mattie had been working on designing a haunted house out of a cardboard box in clinic. He literally worked on it for weeks. The staff held onto the box for him and Mattie would pick up where he left off the next time he was in clinic. This house was intricate and spooky, both inside and outside. Mattie designed ghosts and witches and you can see one of them in his left hand. Inside the box, he had witches flying around on strings and all sorts of attention to design and function. To me it was very impressive for a 6 year old!



Quote of the day: Be the reason someone smiles. Be the reason someone feels loved and believes in the goodness in people. Roy T. Bennett


Tonight's quote really resonates with me. It is really the philosophy of how I live my life, as I always try to find the good in people, I believe in them to want to rise up and make good decisions, and my goal is never to cause hurt or harm. Am I perfect? By no means, but I am human. 

I took my parents to the cardiologist today for their 6 month follow up visit. The cardiologist is a lovely person and both of my parents received a good report today. I truly believe that they are both thriving because of my care, support, cooking, and getting them out and about. I am not sure doctors fully appreciate the role of a family caregiver and how we actually make their lives easier for them!

After the doctor's appointment, I went to Mattie Miracle's post office and started the process for the Foundation's mass mailing. This takes time for me to craft the holiday letter, print it, order little gifts, and then assemble the mailing! I learned the hard way over the years..... that holiday stamps go quickly! So I always get stamps either at the end of October or the beginning of November, to ensure I can get 400-500 of them! I love our post office and particularly Darryll, who assists me and the Foundation. However, he has been ill for quick some time and I can see the toll this illness is taking on his energy, his personality, and joy of life. Seeing his decline saddens me deeply, because he is simply a wonderful, dedicated, and talented postal employee. I will always be grateful to Darryll.

From the post office, we went out for lunch. While at the restaurant, a gentleman came up to our table to talk with us. He was well dressed in a suit, walked with a cane and told us he was a Vietnam veteran (two time purple heart recipient!!!) and is in his 70s. He came over to talk with us because he wanted to let my dad know that he was proud of him. He can see that my dad uses a walker and moves at a very slow pace. Yet he was impressed that this did not stop my dad, that he was still out and about and enjoying life. I always think it is fascinating to see what other people absorb and observe! Between the doctor and this fellow's comments today, they reminded me (INDIRECTLY) that I serve a vital role. I have worked over these last two years to make sure my parents can remain in the community and not be institutionalized. However, this stability doesn't just happen! It happens because a great deal of love and care are provided to this daily undertaking. 

Last thought for the day! Mattie Miracle celebrated its 14th anniversary today. Fourteen years ago today, the Foundation was incorporated in the State of Virginia. It is totally amazing what we accomplished from such tragic loss. Here's a cute story! I was contacted by a college student last week. She would like to interview me about Mattie Miracle. Turns out she is doing a research paper on childhood cancer and reached out to a doctor at Dana Farber to learn more. This doctor told her about the Psychosocial Standards of Care. When this young woman found out that Mattie Miracle had the vision and funded this project, she couldn't get over it! Which is why she is eager to learn more, particularly how parents can be successful advocates of change, change that optimizes the psychological and social care provided to all children with cancer in this country. 

No comments: