Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 1, 2023

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. This was Mattie's third month on chemotherapy and his taste for food had changed dramatically. Some days Mattie wouldn't want food at all and other days he had certain cravings. We went with whatever he presented us. There was a time when he went through a pasta and tomato sauce phase, and as you can see we made sure he got what he requested. I recall one morning, Peter left the hospital at 3am, searching high and low for pasta! It was a moment of stress neither of us will forget, but when your child is feeling miserable and you are dealing with life and death decisions, the only control we did have was mobilizing and getting food!


Quote of the day: Words are like nets - we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder. ~ Jodi Picoult


This morning I woke up at 6am, on my own! I assure you just two years ago, this never would have happened! I have never been a morning person. But now being programmed to get up early for my parents, it becomes a more natural occurrence. When I arose, I was freezing. I tried to turn up the heat, but I couldn't get the thermostat to work. Given that my parents run COLD all the time, I knew this had to be corrected immediately. Peter tried to diagnose the problem too, but there clearly was a problem. Thankfully we have a service contract with a great outfit that takes care of our heat, electrical, plumbing, and AC. So I called them this morning and by 3pm today, a technician was over to provide support. 

The technician was a competent person. I love people like this! Don't you know before he left today, I asked him for his cell phone number. It is important to me to have direct access to all our service providers because the house is a large responsibility and caring for my parents, makes it vital that heat, water, and electrical are working! Before the technician left, he commented about his conversation with Peter and that he was impressed with Peter's career history. After which, he asked me if I worked!? Now that is a loaded question!!! I explained that right now I am caring full time for my parents, but that I also run a Foundation. I did not explain more. Most people would have dismissed what I was saying, because nothing about my words were glamorous. However, his response was the exact oppositive of what I was expecting. He basically said, caring for people is the HARDEST job there is! I couldn't have said it better!!! Since I work day in and day out without much praise or kind words, his comment today meant a lot to me. 

Meanwhile, I received this children's book in the mail. Someone is donating about 30 of these books to me, to give to the hospitals Mattie Miracle supports! The book is written by two teenage siblings. It is a very sensitive and touching book, without being frightening and overwhelming, which isn't easy given its discussion of living with a life threatening illness. 









Here is an Amazon synopsis of the book:

When too little is known and too much is feared, we turn to books. In the spirit of providing much-needed solace comes Henry & the White Wolf, an illustrated storybook-and poignant allegory--to help kids who are sick, or kids with friends who are sick, or kids whose parents or siblings or teachers are sick.

What makes the simple, straightforward story especially comforting and so close to a child's point of view is that it is written and illustrated by a teenage brother and sister who draw not only on their own feelings of being in the hospital, but the experience of offering support to close friends with serious illnesses. It is this spirit that inspired the authors to package with the book a soft, round stone for every child to hold-just like the talismanic stone in the story that Henry, the little sick hedgehog, must hold onto while undergoing the debilitating treatment offered up by the fearsome White Wolf. No matter how bad it gets, Henry clutches his stone for dear life-literally-and it reminds him that the dignity and courage he needs to get better are always with him.

No comments: