Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 16, 2024

Friday, February 16, 2024

Friday, February 16, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old and by that point was talking, walking, and fully on! As you can see, Mattie decided he wanted to wear my shoes. He put them on and went clopping around our home. The funny thing is I can remember doing this same thing as a child with my mom's shoes. 

There was something about raising Mattie that brought out another side of me, a side more open to exploration, adventure, and expanding my comfort zone. I learned so much during my seven years with Mattie, and I feel these lessons guide how I lead and live my life. 

Quote of the day: Your place I’ll hold, you will be missed, the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed. And as you journey to your final rest, take with you this … I loved you best. ~  Jim Willis


This was a photo I took of my boy on one of our many walks in the city! The city was just beautiful in the spring and summer. No matter the weather, Sunny wanted to be out and about. Of course as he got older, the heat would wipe him out. So we had to take periodic breaks and I carried water bottles and a portable bowl for him. All I know is with Sunny, I felt more confident and more connected to the world. He taught me the gift of stopping, observing, and appreciating the beauty around us. I will never forget him and the joy he brought to my life. 

This morning after my usual routine, I got my dad to his memory care center, and then went grocery shopping. I have gone from a person who liked to interface with people in the store and I even preferred going to a check out line manned by a person, to now, I want nothing to do with anyone, and I prefer self check out. I guess I like self check out because I feel I have more control of checking out items and bagging them in a way that makes sense to me. It is amazing how one issue or problem in our lives, can alter how we deal with other things in our lives. 

Once I got home, I dealt with unpacking groceries, folding laundry, managing my mom's breakfast dishes and prepping her for her in home physical therapy session. When my mom was going to be with the therapist, I had big plans to do some work! Forget it. I instead received one call after the other, after the other. I was dealing with multiple issues at one time, that by the time the calls were done, my head was spinning. 

No time to process anything or regroup, because by that time, I had to take my mom out for tea. Even while in the car, I received a phone call from my mom's long term care insurer. From that call, this led me to reaching out to my mom's doctors to obtain more health related information. Truthfully it was a crazy day! 

When I finally got home, there still wasn't peace. I had to get my dad settled and then the fun began with helping my mom pay bills. I assure you this is very stressful. It is hard to explain unless you spend some time with my mom. Each month I have to figure out her bills and my own. This alone is a huge undertaking on top of everything else I am facing. Once bills were dealt with, I was on to making dinner. Some times I feel like I am on a treadmill that instead of slowing down, just seems to pick up the pace. I truly believe my current life could be a case study, and I hope what I learn can help so many others in my shoes. 

No comments: