Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 13, 2024

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Tuesday, February 13, 2024 -- Mattie died 750 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2004. I think I captured this photo because I was always fascinated about Mattie's ability to multi-task. He could do so many things at one time! For example, a TV show could have been going on the background, while Mattie was walking around, collecting books, and playing with toys. You would think therefore that he wasn't absorbing what was happening in the TV show! WRONG! He could tell you and also would enlighten you on what he was creating or building at the same time. 


Quote of the day: When tomorrow starts without me, don’t think we’re far apart. For every time you think of me, I’m right here in your heart. ~ Unknown


My happy pooch! Given that Sunny had a double coat of fur, I was committed to him being groomed once a month. That particular day he got groomed and you can see his Halloween bandana from the groomer. Overall, Sunny did not like water, nor did he like the grooming process. He would get anxious and shake like a leaf whenever he left my side. Nonetheless, once he was cleaned, Sunny loved it. It was important for his fur, skin, nails, teeth and ears. But look at that face! Who wouldn't love him? He was the best companion, so well behaved, and a loyal buddy until the end. 

This afternoon, I took my parents out for frozen yogurt. This is something they both love. While out, I was trying to orient my dad to the season and the month. He truly has NO idea. His memory is declining rapidly and he can't recall things that happened just a minute or so ago. It is downright scary. Without supervision I could see how he could get into trouble or worse be taken advantage of! In any case, once I told him it was February, my mom and I asked him what special day occurs every February 14th? He literally had NOT A CLUE. So I told him it was Valentine's Day. That did not make much of an impression on him. 

While eating yogurt, I pulled on an article on the internet about the most famous love letters of all time. I really need to turn to outside stimulation, because otherwise, my life is like listening to a broken record. I hear the same thing over and over. Living with two people who have dementia is humbling and it takes a great deal of inner strength and fortitude to manage through each day. Both of my parents were intrigued with what I was reading and two love letters on the list caught my attention. They are below.................

General Napoleon Bonaparte's Letter To Joséphine Bonaparte

A few days ago I thought I loved you; but since I last saw you I feel I love you a thousand times more. All the time I have known you, I adore you more each day; that just shows how wrong was La Bruyére’s maxim that love comes all at once. Everything in nature has its own life and different stages of growth. I beg you, let me see some of your faults: be less beautiful, less graceful, less kind, less good…


Johnny Cash’s letter to June Carter Cash

Happy Birthday Princess,

We get old and get use to each other. We think alike.

We read each other’s minds. We know what the other wants without asking. Sometimes we irritate each other a little bit. Maybe sometimes take each other for granted.

But once in awhile, like today, I meditate on it and realize how lucky I am to share my life with the greatest woman I ever met. You still fascinate and inspire me.

You influence me for the better. You’re the object of my desire, the #1 Earthly reason for my existence. I love you very much.

Happy Birthday Princess.

John


I am not sure what jumps out at me from these love letters. Perhaps is the notion that love grows over time, that it doesn't dissipate. It isn't finite. On the contrary, love is infinite and constantly changing and evolving. As Bonaparte said.... 'it doesn't come all at once.' It builds upon itself. Each week, each month, each year together. As one matures, one realizes that the person we love helps us to be the best we can be, to inspire us, and makes our existence on this complex planet worthwhile. We all need this form of love in our lives and as I face tomorrow, it is hard not to feel directionless, disillusioned, and deeply saddened. 

No comments: