Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 27, 2024

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tuesday, February 27, 2024 -- Mattie died 752 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie's classmates sent him valentine's day cards, treats, and this HUGE lollipop! Mattie couldn't believe that this lollipop was as large as his head. The kindness, generosity, and support Mattie received from his community will never be forgotten. 

Quote of the day: Dogs…do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith. ~ Eugene O’Neill


Sunny had some favorite spots where he loved to hang out and take a snooze. As you can see he loved lying on plants and grasses. Just the sweetest fellow ever. 

I miss everything about him. Tomorrow marks the 7th week Sunny has been gone from my life. 









After my usual morning of tasks, I sat down at the computer to continue work on Mattie Miracle's Walk website. While doing this, I was juggling emails and I saw one come in saying that the Foundation owed $1,000! It wasn't an invoice I was expecting. It was submitted by an on line bill payment method, and I was determined to see the invoice. Once I figured out how to sign in, I then looked at the invoice. It was from a company in Florida. I quickly sent the invoice to our legal team and then decided to reach directly out to the bill paying company. 

Needless to say, I wasted over 45 minutes on this problem. I finally resolved the issue, got the invoice removed, told the company this wasn't meant for me and that I wasn't paying it. While I was working that angle, the Foundation's lawyer sent me information about the company in question. Amazing what lawyers have access to! 

Turns out that one of the holdings of this company belongs to one of our corporate sponsors. I believe our sponsor was submitting an invoice for a Walk sponsorship to their parent company in Florida. Needless to say, I feel like I went full circle on this issue today and reached out to our sponsor to explain what transpired and how the invoice was misdirected to us.

Though my dad is no longer coughing, he doesn't have congestion or a runny nose, he remains extremely exhausted. In fact, other than going out to have frozen yogurt today, he spent the day sleeping. Of course this is a concern to me, because all the sleeping makes him lose further ground. His doctor has increased the dosage of his memory medication, with the hopes that we can keep my dad at his current mental state for another year. That said, the doctor also noticed a big decline in my dad's memory ability at his physical a few weeks ago. Since I think the testing done to assess memory is POOR at best and misses most things, it speaks to the profound decline of my dad, if this test was able to elicit a meaningful result. 

As for myself, I am not sure what to say other than I exist. I go through my daily chores, tasks, and responsibilities, but I feel like that is the extent of my life. My life has come to a crashing halt and I think my parents finally understood today that without my role as caregiver, I would see no point right now in living. This is not how I thought my life was going to be, and frankly no amount of talking or connecting with others will change my reality.    

No comments: