Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 14, 2024

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. That day we took Mattie for a walk around the National Mall in Washington, DC. There is nothing like the Nation's capital during the spring season. Things were beginning to turn green and blossom. What I love about this photo was even in a wheelchair, Mattie still made a point to collect something (a stick) along our journey. 

Quote of the day: I believe all animals were created by God to help keep man alive. ~ Iwao Fujita


It was another red letter day here on the farm. My day began with my dad having a massive bowel movement in the shower (I wish this was it for today, but he went four different times!). No matter how many times I have told him not to do this, it doesn't compute. I even have a big bin in the shower where he can sit and go in an emergency. As I rather him go in a bin, rather than all over the shower. Mind you every morning before getting him into the shower I ask.... do you have to go to the bathroom. Forget it. Nothing works. Dementia is a cruel disease and some times I wonder who it is worse for..... the patient or the family member?

After a big clean up, I got him cleaned, dressed and downstairs for breakfast and then got him ready for his physical therapy session. Before his physical therapist came, I decided to call the VA Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services. They regulate non-profits and our ability to legally fundraise. A non-profit has to submit an application yearly and I have been trying to find out where our application was in the process of review. I called last week and have been checking the website daily. 

Finally today, I hit the jackpot. A lovely man answered the phone and he took pity on me. He understood my desire to close the loop on this application and walked me through the yearly process, when to file again, and what I learned is once the agency receives the application and cashes our check, the non-profit is deemed in compliance with the agency's regulations. But his kindness did not end there. He literally asked me for the name of my non-profit, went through hundreds of applications that are on file and moved ours to the top of the list. Literally within thirty minutes, our application was approved and I received the certificate by email. 

I do not know what I have done to meet this regulatory angel, but I am deeply grateful. My world is in absolute turmoil now and I have become accustomed to doing things myself and protecting myself. But without this kind soul, the Foundation would still be caught up in the que of applications! Each day despite living in hell, I try to find one good thing. This man wasn't just my one good thing for the day, but for my week! 

No comments: