Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 16, 2024

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. That day we took Mattie to see the circus. The hospital secured a private booth for us and Mattie was very excited to have this new experience. We had never taken Mattie to the circus before. Mattie loved the whole thing and during intermission, we met up with his cancer buddy, Brandon who was also in attendance. We bought Mattie several glow in the dark circus items and overall I would say it was an unforgettable day. 




Quote of the day: Of all the animals, surely the dog is the only one that really shares our life, helps in our work, and has a place in our recreation. It is the only one that becomes so fond of us that sometimes it cannot go on living after its master dies. ~ Ferdinand Mercy


Look at this cute face! Sunny was the world's best pooch. In so many ways, I felt he was a gift sent to me from Mattie. Sunny may have had fur and paws, but he had so many human qualities. He was loving, compassionate, bright, and at swear he understood how I was feeling. I will never forget the happiness he brought to my life. He filled up our home after Mattie died, and once again I am faced with a space that feels empty inside. 

Tonight's quote reminds me of my uncle and his dog, Atom II. My dad's brother died at an early age (many years ago) of a brain aneurysm. He understood he was ill and in his will he made a special note about arrangements for Atom II after he died. He did not want Atom II to live with anyone. He did not want Atom II to be adopted! Instead, he wanted Atom II to be put to sleep. From my uncle's perspective, he felt that Atom II would not survive without him. That no one would understand his anxious state or be able to care for him like my uncle. This decision plagued me all my life, as I felt then as I do now, that Atom II could have lived with us. 

My dad was the executor of my uncle's will, and though we tried to encourage him not to follow through with his brother's request to put a health dog to sleep, we were unable to convince him. My dad felt a sense of obligation and to fulfill his brother's last request. In fact, I remember my dad saying something like.... I do not want my brother haunting me if I do not follow his wishes! I honestly do not know if I would have taken on such a role if I knew it meant ending a dog's life too soon. 

I think about Sunny! I am quite certain that Sunny's original owner died and then the owner's family did not want to keep him. Therefore they tossed Sunny out on a highway in South Carolina. This was the basis of the story that was conveyed to me when I adopted Sunny. Clearly Sunny and his original owner had a strong connection and bond. They must have because Sunny was impeccably trained which made adopting him super easy. Here's a classic example of how adaptable dogs are and if introduced to a kind and loving home, they can thrive and live a happy and fulfilling life. All I know is thank goodness, Sunny's original owner did not request for Sunny to be put to sleep upon his death. If he had, I would have missed out on 8 wonderful years of being a dog Mom. 

Overall my daily existence is bordering on terrible to toxic. I am balancing incredible amounts of stress with balancing finances, paying bills, caregiving for two people with dementia and other physical issues, and of course balancing all the emotions that get thrown at me at any given hour. Because of my mom's dementia and issues, she can get stuck on a thread of conversation and play it over and over again. I am dealing with my own grief, loss, and traumas given what has happened to my marriage, but my mom's constant outbursts and negativity weigh me down. All conversations and focus must revolve around her, and yet given what I am coping with, support and help should be directed to me. But I know I come last in my home. I have come to accept this reality over the last two years, but what I am balancing requires super human strength and courage in order to try to find a way forward. 

No comments: