Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 9, 2024

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Tuesday, April 9, 2024 -- Mattie died 758 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. My friend Christine, hosted Mattie's 7th birthday party in her backyard. As you can see, the theme was the ROACH. It was the big joke between Mattie and me. He knew I hated bugs, and that inspired him to like them even more. Check out that roach cake and Christine's husband, James, even dressed up in a roach costume. It was a great party, and even Reptiles Alive was there and did a show and a meet and greet with many of their creepy crawlers! It was a day to remember!


Quote of the day: I heard somebody define heaven once as a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved run to greet you. ~ Robert B. Parker


I received this photo today from Chicago! This presentation was taking place at the Association of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers conference. If you look closely you will see Mattie Miracle's logo and our tag line.... It's Not Just about the Medicine. Mattie Miracle is participating in a nationwide study with a research team from Nemour's Healthcare (in Delaware), NIH, and Momcology. This is the first Psychosocial Standards implementation study of its kind to assess family members' perspectives as we try to understand and prioritize the 15 Standards of Care. We are grateful for a $115,000 grant from the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation to conduct this study! 





Meanwhile, this morning, our landscaper came over to manage the water leak in our backyard. He gave me a high five, that I shut off the water this weekend and controlled the issue. It turns out it wasn't a broken sprinkler head, but a hairline fracture in one of the pipe in the irrigation system. We have lived in this house since 2021. Therefore, I have known this fellow for three years now. I have always liked him as a person. He is efficient, kind, and professional. 

Today however, we got to talking about personal issues. I have only let a handful of people into my current soap opera and daily drama. This is a personal decision to protect myself and truly it is what I need to do at this point to get through the day. However, what I learned today was more about the personal life of the man before me. Like he said to me, I would say right back to him. Looking at both of us, you would never know the weight of the world we carry on our shoulders. How cruel life has been to both of us, and yet, despite these horrors, we both continue to do our best to be kind and thoughtful to those in our lives. 

He and I did not talk for very long, but it was long enough to know we were on the same page. Honestly this is a hard phase of my life to discuss, and unless you have lived a similar trauma, I most likely will not feel comfortable sharing much. Those of us who have these experiences seem to be able to spot one another immediately. I find that fascinating in and of itself. I am not sure why this conversation made me feel better, but it did. I felt heard, understood, and supported. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you write more about your divorce and what happened with Peter?