Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 21, 2024

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2006. Mattie was four years old. By that point Mattie was potty trained, but I would say that was quite a process. I tried everything from reward charts, stickers, and you name it to make Mattie eager to learn. Truly nothing worked. What did? Mattie went to preschool at the age of 3 1/2. He went with pull ups, but within months, he wanted to be like all the other kids. So literally he trained himself, and I followed his lead. This was typical with Mattie. I had to relax and not follow age related milestones, because when Mattie was ready for something, he rose to the occasion every time. Don't you love that John Deere step stool? Mattie and Peter built and painted it together. To this day, this step stool is in my office on display!


Quote of the day: Sometimes, the only soul that can mend a broken heart is the one that broke it. For they are the ones holding all the pieces. ~ Patti Roberts


Yesterday morning, I got up at 5:30am, because I had a HVAC inspection at 8am. In order to make that timing work, it literally required me to get up super early. I have gone from a person who hates the morning, to a person who has to get up very early, each and every day. Any case, I was hoping that yesterday would go smoothly but in typical fashion NOTHING about this house goes as planned. I view it as a big money pit! Naturally several things needed to be fixed yesterday, which meant getting hit with more unexpected bills. I truly hate my existence. Life is one bill, invoice, and task after the other. All faced alone. 

This morning, I woke up and it dawned on me..... September is almost over and I had yet to write a newsletter for Mattie Miracle! Honestly part of me thought..... forget it! I am neither in the mood or up for it. But then my Mattie mom voice took over and said.... are you kidding? Get to the computer and start typing. So after my morning routine, I sat down and began creating visuals and my September message. I am happy to say I accomplished it and it is going out on Monday. 

It has been a week of a lot of cooking. When my parents are sick I tend to make soup! So I started with chicken soup!
Then I moved onto split pea soup. I had a frozen ham bone, that I purchased from the farmer's market over a year ago. When Peter was living with us, I enjoyed going to the farmer's market on Saturdays. Now forget it. Nothing interests me anymore. I function physically, but the person I once was is dead. 
Tonight I made shrimp, jasmine rice and asparagus. Eating with my parents is an experience. My dad eats in minutes, then either jumps up to go to the bathroom, or pushes his plate away and watches us eat. It takes me hours sometimes to cook and he eats in five minutes. That's my dad, while my mom is a broken record of laments. She has no concept, despite telling her, how these laments are emotionally wearing me down. When I need my spouse the most, he is gone. 

Since Mattie died, September has always been a hard month. Now I feel September has two huge traumas.... September 8, the day Mattie died, and September 23, the day Peter left me. 

No comments: