Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 22, 2024

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2004. Mattie was two years old and Peter's parents sent him this ride on fire truck. Mattie loved all things with wheels. He just naturally gravitated to them! Our commons area in the city was the perfect place to ride these toys, to fly a kite, and to learn to ride a bicycle. I will never forget this space! This ride on fire truck got a lot of use. Mattie would ride on it, push it, wash it (like in a car wash), and he involved it in his creative play. 


Quote of the day: Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today? ~ Mary Manin Morrissey


I totally understand the sentiments of tonight's quote. But the thing is, it just doesn't apply to me. I don't want a new life, as a new life means putting all my hurts somewhere. I will never be free, I will never be able to release the hurt or the fear. I know from which I speak, as I already am living with the traumatic loss of Mattie. Some traumas can't be packaged in a box, shipped out to sea, and dropped off permanently. They are a part of me, and once again, I face the impossible.... how to live with all of this hurt. 

This morning, my goal was to do another hour of continuing education. That never happened. I got myself so worked up with bill payments, that I sat down and started a flow chart of money and bills for October. In my office, I have an area where I stage bills that have to be paid, and with each day, the stack rises. Which only further spikes my anxiety. So for two hours, I sat down and tried to map out expenses for this month. It is simply hateful. If this was the only stress I was managing that would be hard enough, but it is only 1/16th of my overall problem. 

Every Sunday I take my parents out to brunch. When I drive to the restaurant, I usually land up paying a toll each way. I am sick of that expense and decided to investigate how to get to this restaurant without a toll. Directions are another thing out of my comfort zone. But thanks to Waze, I was able to accomplish this task, because I am afraid reading maps isn't my strong suit. But I did it!

After settling my parents back at home, I had to flag all of our sprinklers on the property as the grass is getting seeded and aerated this week. The company asked me to flag all sprinkler heads so they are not damaged by the seeding truck. Delightful, but you bet I was going to do it, because I am NOT paying for new sprinkler heads. That meant I had to go figure out our sprinkler timer and turn it to manual. Thankfully when Steve, from our landscaping company, came over during the spring, I took notes on how to work the timer! Out came the notes this evening. I have 7 watering zones on the property, and literally I went zone by zone, getting soaked in the process. But the flags are up, and I can take that task off my to-do list. My dad heads for surgery again on Tuesday, so I will have my hands full with his recovery. 

This photo was taken on September 23, 2023. Peter did a 5k race with our neighbor that morning. He sent me photos and came home with a lovely medal (which I kept) and lots of gifts from the race. I was so proud of him, because he had lost a ton of weight and developed a wonderful running and walking routine each morning. Any time someone wants to better themselves and make such a life change, I applaud it because I know changing routines is so so hard. What I wasn't expecting that day, was shortly after coming back from the race, Peter packed up and walked out on our marriage. Now almost one year later, I can't say I am any less confused. In fact, I would say in my case, time has left me more hurt, more disillusioned, more confused, and deeply distraught. 

No comments: