Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 29, 2010

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Mattie was visiting his good friend, Campbell's house. This was before Mattie had undergone any of his surgeries, so getting around physically and holding things at that point were easy. Mattie and Campbell had a great time that day decorating Halloween cookies and just spending time together. Though I am not happy Mattie had only one year of elementary school, I am so happy he met and made some wonderful friendships. For some of us it takes a lifetime to meet such friends, Mattie did this in one year!

Quote of the day: The heart hath its own memory, like the mind. And in it are enshrined the precious keepsakes, into which is wrought the giver's loving thought. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


I woke up with all sorts of aches and pains from walking yesterday,  however, despite the pains, I got myself together and went back out there today. Pedometer and ipod in hand! Surviving the first 15 minutes is the hardest, but after the pains start to subside, the remaining time walking is pleasant. I managed to walk 3.2 miles today, and I find during my first several minutes walking I land up sighing a lot. I frankly do not even realize I am doing it, but it is through walking that I try to let go of my stresses and thoughts. I spend a good part of the time breathing, listening to music, and taking in the sights of the greenery I am passing. In a way, walking has become therapeutic and my time. I am not a person who typically takes time for myself, but I have found the past two days that when I walk it is on my time, my pace, and I have also made the conscious effort to disconnect from my phone while walking. This is a major step forward for me, because I typically have my phone with me at all time. A major aftermath of cancer treatment!

After this walk today, I met up with Ann. We visited her mom and had lunch together. Ann and I chatted about this instrument I have located, and through our discussion, I realize I have more questions about it and how it could be used at Georgetown University Hospital. Fortunately, the researcher who created the instrument has been delightful to approach, and she has agree to talk by phone with me tomorrow morning.

This afternoon, I journeyed to Mattie's lower school campus. One of the kindergarten teachers, Donna, had been chatting with Junko (my friend) about inviting me into the classroom and perhaps helping in some way. I appreciate Junko's help in coordinating this meeting. Donna met me outside today, and we walked into the building together. We made hot tea and then chatted for about two hours in her classroom. Mattie did not have Donna as a teacher, but because his classroom was right near Donna's I had the pleasure of interacting with her several times. Donna has attended many Mattie events over the past two years, and I have had the opportunity to talk with her at the Mattie March and the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Walk.

Donna asked me about my interests. I told her that was a good question, and most likely I would say that my interests have evolved post-cancer. Everything about me has changed post-cancer. I told Donna that ironically I find that I can work with children and be around them, but I have a hard time being around moms. Mainly because the natural things for moms to talk about are their children. It is hard for me to participate in these conversations, and when I listen to them, I find that I get a sense of intense sadness inside because I no longer am part of this world, and naturally because Mattie is not a part of our lives. I discussed the fact that I love art, gardening, cooking, theatre, and musicals. Donna then shared with me a story the children in her classroom had just read, Laden's book entitled, When Pigasso Met Mootisse. I remember Mattie reading this book. It is about "a porky Pigasso and a bullish Mootisse, who start out as neighbors but end up feuding when they start criticizing one another's work. Now rivals, they transform their farms into bold works of art and then build a fence between the properties. However, the painters find that they miss one another's company and they each paint an apology on the fence-paintings that wow the critics and make the two fast friends. Based loosely on the real-life relationship between Picasso and Matisse, Laden's tale is a wonderful tribute to these exceptional talents and to the concept of accepting the ideas of others." As our conversation evolved, we both realized that it would be wonderful to bring these artists alive for the children. Ideas were flowing, and I discussed some of the thoughts that came to mind such as showing the children what part of the world Matisse and Picasso were from, to introduce them to some child appropriate facts about their lives and who they were as people, and to allow the children to see slides of their masterpieces. One of my goals is to help children become in touch with their feelings while looking at these works of art. Art evokes feelings, and I believe this is a skill one can learn and appreciate early on in life. In fact when I mentioned the importance of feelings, Donna showed me the feeling's corner in her room. She has about 20 words laminated in her classroom, and each word describes a feeling, like happy, proud, sad, angry, etc. Each feeling word is also matched up with a corresponding colored pom pom. If children are feeling overwhelmed or frustrated, they can go over to this corner and pick out the pom pom that captures how they are feeling. I was thrilled to see this because in kindergarten it is hard to verbalize feelings at times, and in several instances the children may not know the word to describe their feeling yet. But having this feeling outlet is a great way to help children become in touch with their emotions.

Other thoughts that Donna and I brainstormed were hands on creative projects, where the children could create their own art work in the style of Picasso or Matisse, and in the process transform the classroom into an art gallery. Included with these ideas also involved creative snacks, that perhaps highlighted treats from France and Spain, where Matisse and Picasso were from. Needless to say, this is a work in progress, and over the course of the next month, I will be researching these two artists and coming up with innovative ways to capture the minds of the children. As my lifetime friend Karen said to me tonight, "once a teacher, always a teacher." As I said to Donna today, I am used to teaching undergraduate and graduate students. Not five and six year olds, but as I design whatever I plan on doing, I will keep Mattie in mind. Donna and I talked about a three part series that I would develop, that would take place over a three week time frame. I do appreciate Donna including me this year within her classroom, and I appreciate her intuitive understanding for my need to connect with children. During our visit together, Mattie's kindergarten teacher, Leslie, came by to chat with us. Leslie was captured by our discussion of these artists, and we began to talk about how to integrate this content throughout the four kindergarten classrooms.

Before I left, Donna shared with me a story about Mattie's tree. She said that her class was outside at recess, and two girls found a couple of the origami praying cranes (that were placed on Mattie's tree during his first anniversary) on the ground. The girls were not aware of Mattie's tree, but they were intrigued by the cranes and in a way they felt as if they magically appeared. The girls showed them to Donna and they told Donna they wanted to take the cranes home. Donna told them that the cranes belonged to Mattie's tree, and that afternoon Mattie's tree was coined the "Origami Tree." The girls then reattached the cranes back to Mattie's tree. What I find so fascinating about this is that the tree has been there since the beginning of the school year. Yet it was the cranes flying off the tree that got the girls to stop and notice the tree. I told Donna it was as if the tree was calling for their attention and recognition.

As I was saying good-bye to Donna, we saw The Magic Man, Bob Weiman (the head of the lower school). Bob walked me out to my car and as we were chatting he acknowledged how hard it must be to come to campus. However, he wanted me to know that I have come a long way in one year's time. I went from not being able to even drive by the campus, to now being able to walk on campus and even enter the buildings. We both concluded that Mattie's tree has helped me with this process. In a way, the tree makes me feel as if a part of Mattie is still at school, and therefore visiting there is about remembering Mattie. I appreciate Bob's sensitivity and his willingness to share his observations with me.


When I got home this evening, Peter and I went through the mail. In the mail we received this beautiful brick with an inscription on it that reads: "In Loving Memory
Mattie Brown
King of the Legos
Classmate & Friend
Peace
Sam, Maddie, & Ryan"

A similar brick will be placed in the gardens at Holy Trinity Church in Georgetown, where Mattie was to begin CCD and where Mattie's funeral took place. We want to thank the Goff Glennon family (a wonderful family we met at the Resurrection Children's Center) for this generous contribution and for helping us keep Mattie's memory alive. We will cherish this brick, and I couldn't agree more..... he was the KING OF THE LEGOS!

No comments: