Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 27, 2011

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was in Boston visiting Peter's parents, and that particular day we stopped by their local pond to feed the Canadian geese and ducks. Mattie and I both loved the geese and ducks, and we had a whole strategy about which goose or duck should be fed first.  


Quote of the day: The grief they have experienced has made them more empathetic to the grief of others. ~ Bill Doyle


I am happy to report that after almost 24 hours of travel, Peter arrived safely in Rwanda. He reports that his flights to Brussels and then to Rwanda were smooth and not over booked. His symptoms remain about the same, but I am so happy that the long travel did not debilitate him further.

I spent a good portion of the day running chores. In the later part of the afternoon, I went to visit Mary (Ann's mom). Mary has been very worried about Peter, and in essence me. She was anxiously awaiting to hear whether Peter landed safely, and while I was visiting her, Peter emailed me to let me know he was okay. Mary was thrilled to be able to hear this good news directly.

This evening was Mattie's preschool's annual auction. I went last year, and also felt compelled to go tonight. I will never forget Mattie's preschool and his positive experience there. Those two years could have been the happiest in his life. He developed amazing skills and self confidence at this school, and in so many ways, Peter and I would have been lost without the support from Resurrection Children's Center and St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School during Mattie's cancer battle. To me, these are amazing schools and communities.

I went to the auction with Ann, and though we do not talk about this outright, I know she is aware of the fact that it is hard for me to be in a room filled with parents of preschoolers. Many of these parents I knew from when Mattie attended school. Typically what unites parents in conversation is their children. Naturally this makes chatting with me a little more challenging. In a way, it is almost like being a mom happened in another lifetime for me.

Each year at the auction, they show a video of the children in each classroom. Just like last year, I left before the showing of that video. Ann and I went out to dinner together, and then returned at the end of the evening to claim the items we bid on and won. Peter and I won a get away weekend in October, and I am happy that we can take this much needed break together. I actually felt guilty for winning this item, since I knew there was another couple who wanted this package as well. However, as Ann reminded me, we deserve a vacation too. In so many ways, after Mattie died, I feel we no longer are entitled to anything. It is an interesting mindset and dynamic. Peter gets a kick out of watching me at auctions, and tonight I wouldn't have disappointed him. Mainly because I turn into another person. A person who is outwardly competitive and when I get my mind set on wanting to win, I can become persistent and tenacious.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I'm so glad you won the vacation - it is very deserved! It was so nice to officially meet you.