Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 13, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007, during Memorial Day weekend. That weekend we took Mattie to Amish Country in Pennsylvania. I had never been there myself, so it was a first for both of us. Mattie actually went on an Amish wagon ride, but we also saw this wagon on display and Mattie obliged me and posed for a photo! But I can tell by looking at his smile, that posing wasn't something he really wanted to be doing at that point in time. 


Quote of the day: The most valuable gift you can receive is an honest friend.  Stephen Richards


Yesterday, Peter and I went to visit Mattie's Memorial Tree, located on the lower school of his campus. This is the third tree that has been planted, since the last two unfortunately died. However, as you can see this Yellowwood is a survivor and very hearty. In fact, it is SO voluminous up top when the leaves are on the tree that you can't see all the ornaments attached to the tree. But there are STILL there and of course when the wind blows, the tree still twinkles from all the wind chimes on it! 

Peter and I weeded all around the tree and cut back the dead leaves from the tulips and daffodils that we planted from bulbs in the Fall. I also replaced the bow around the tree.



This is the adorable birdhouse that sits in Mattie's tree. As Peter jokes, this house is "OCCUPIED." There is a wren family that flies in and out of it. I have seen this before, but Peter got to see it for the first time yesterday. There was an actual wren in the house when we snapped this photo, but couldn't capture this fellow's head popping in and out. 
Today, I met my friend for lunch. I became friends with Margy on Facebook almost a year ago. We have common Facebook friends and she worked in an outpatient clinic for many years helping children with cancer and their families, not to mention has run a successful childhood cancer non-profit for almost 20 years. Typically I do not become personal buddies with new people I do not know on Facebook, but with Margy we instantly clicked. Today Margy added this light up bird to our Mattie Memorial Garden at home. I can't wait to see him aglow tonight. This bird is surrounded by bushes that Mattie and Peter planted together years ago. When they originally planted them they were knee height. Now some of them are 10 feet tall. 


Margy also added this pottery heart to my shelf collection. Inside the heart it says, "love" and of course the heart is orange. Our Mattie Miracle color! Beautiful gifts from a beautiful friend, and after the weekend I had, such a connection was necessary.  

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

THE MOST VALUABLE GIFT YOU CAN RECEIVE IS AN HONEST FRIEND!!!! After I read that, I had the grateful feeling, I often get when I think of you. As I have told you in the past, your friendship was a gift immediately and yes, we click!!!!

I made Mattie's picture bigger so I could see what you meant by indulging you and the picture you wanted. I love those pictures so much when a child is honoring the picture wish while they are ready to sprint to what they also want to see!!!! The pictures are great but you see their smile, a different look.

Our conversations, but most especially, your blog have made it possible to know Mattie. Of course, I will never get the chance to talk with him, engage him in an art activity or learn from him, his favorite things. This fact makes your blog even more special and important to me. To truly know you, knowing Mattie is most important. Remembering always, that he is a part of you everyday. You post pictures. And share Mattiee at all times of his short life. I believe this is a gift you give others like me. Mattie will always be your child and his death your forever loss. However, knowing about him, give me the opportunity to know him. Thanks๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒป
I have never been to Amish Country so if I go I will definitely think about Mattie.