Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 18, 2016

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in June 2006, on Father's Day. Though Mattie wasn't the best at going out to eat and sitting still, he understood the importance of special occasions, like Father's Day. Whenever we went out with Mattie to eat, I always had a large bag in tow. This bag carried all sorts of little toys and activities to occupy Mattie at the table. As you can see Mattie had a book in front of him as I snapped this photo!


Quote of the day: There's no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower


Peter and I went to Huntley Meadows today for a walk. This is a wonderful nature park that we used to take Mattie to often. Though it was 90 degrees out, there was little humidity which made this a very pleasant walk. Of course we can't go to this park without many sightings.... all of which remind us of Mattie. 


This was a first for me. I never saw a Tawny Emperor butterfly before. The butterfly has become my symbol for Mattie, which is why I am typically wearing butterfly shaped jewelry. 










Peter spotted this wonderful Red Bellied Woodpecker. A rather funny name, since it is only his head that is red!

The beauty of Huntley Meadows. Between the trees and the boardwalk.... it is a must see for nature lovers.
 Turtles in action!
 I love Canadian Geese. 
Check out this bullfrog! The sound of the frogs in the swamp along the boardwalk was practically deafening. The waters were filled with Southern Leopard frogs in addition to bullfrogs. The Southern Leopard Frog literally sounds like the strumming of a guitar.
There were amazing swamp roses all around us. Beautiful and pink and VERY fragrant. We have visited the park for many years, and NEVER saw these roses before. 
The sights from the boardwalk. 
Red wing blackbirds! They were sitting in a swamp filled with roses. 
Close up. The call of the Red Wing Blackbird, it very unique. Like a creaky door. You can't miss it!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
President Eisenhower had it right, there is no loss greater than that of a child. I can't speak from personal experience, so I don't and would never say I understand. Yet, I know enough parents, like you & Peter to recognize this is a loss parents carry with them daily - the forever Loss. You snd Peter found some fantastic places to take Mastie and I love the thought of the bag with things to do at a restaurant. Thank you for the tour of Huntley Meadows. Seems like a place, Ken & I should walk!
Please know I will be thinking of Peter tomorrow, actually both of you. All days are reminders of your loss of Mattie in every moment but the big ones, I am sure are the hardest.

Margy