Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 26, 2020

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. Mattie was about a year and a half old. Peter's parents gave Mattie this ride-on fire truck. Given that Mattie loved the color red and anything with wheels, he gravitated to this toy. That day, we took it outside for Mattie to try to ride it. He was a cautious fellow, so he wanted to touch it, walk with it, and push it first. He eventually tried riding on it. But for the most part, Mattie preferred playing with it, washing it, and pushing it. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 7,055,279
  • number of people who died from the virus: 204,112

Just when I thought the bites were done, I received these photos today from my dad's caregiver. As you can see my dad's ankle is very swollen and turning red. Most likely from all of his  scratching. When I left my dad on August 31, he had huge bites. Bites that got infected and he needed to take antibiotics. Naturally the goal now is to avoid infection. 
My mom took my dad to see the doctor again about the bites. The doctor feels they are flea bites. I have had flea bites before and they didn't look like this, to me they look like mosquito bites. When I was in Los Angeles and staying at my parent's home, I got bitten constantly in their yard. In fact, I did not need to spend more than five minutes outside, without coming back inside with bites. Ironically it is only my dad and I who are getting bitten. 

My dad has two caregivers. Only one of the caregivers writes to me each time she visits. My dad's physical therapist also contacts me after each visit. I really appreciate this level of communication, because it helps stay informed. Which is so important since I am thousands of miles away. 

Rather funny that I would take a photo of a bus! We were walking Sunny today, and this bus caught my eye! Mainly because it looked like a classic and not modern. So I did some digging on "Continental Trailways." Turns out this is one of the SILVER EAGLES (which were in production in 1958). 

The Eagle was a make of motor coach with a long and interesting history. During a period of over four decades, some 8,000 Eagle coaches were built in four countries on two continents. The coaches were a common sight on American highways and were strongly associated with Continental Trailways for over three decades.


Sunny on his walk today! No matter where we go, Sunny gets attention. Many people stopped to tell me that we have a beautiful dog. 

When we first got Sunny, he would jump on our bed in the morning. Looking to be with his family, until we woke up. Now that Sunny is older, he has a harder time jumping up. So Peter is working on a step solution for Sunny. Peter bought wood and has his saw and drill out. This will be another Peter Brown original in our home, as Peter has built me many things from a step stool for Mattie, a kitchen cabinet, a tv stand, and the list goes on. He has great carpentry skills, which I believe he learned from his grandfather. I can't wait to see Sunny's reaction to his new stair case!


No comments: