Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 24, 2020

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2005. Mattie was three years old. As you can see, Mattie loved playing on our stair case. To him it was like one big jungle gym. Perhaps all kids are this way, as I remember doing the exact same thing in the house that I grew up in. The joy of climbing. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 6,996,639
  • number of people who died from the virus: 202,563


Yesterday was a horrible day. When I got home from the hospital, I took to bed. I was miserable and in terrible pain. The pain meds did not even help. I wasn't sure what was worse, the intense cramping or the fact that when I urinated it felt as if I was passing shards of glass. Needless to say, my trusty companion, Sunny, was on the scene!

I was so concerned about the pain, that I text messaged my doctor last night. She called me and we spoke about the issue. It turns out that my urination issue was NOT a common side effect in woman who have had a hysteroscopy and D&C (to remove tissue for analysis). My luck! The doctor thought I was perhaps allergic to the prep solution that was used to clean the area prior to operation. It turns out she was correct.  

In addition to feeling horrible internally, the operation left me with a black and blue ear lobe, marks all over my body where probes were attached to me, and swollen cheeks. Even today, my face aches if you touch it. 

I received two calls from the hospital today, as a follow up regarding my procedure yesterday. The second caller got a mouthful. Turns out that another patient also complained of a burning sensation from a procedure yesterday, and I mentioned what my doctor had stated about the prep solution. I also told this caller that at NO time yesterday did anyone ask to see my ID. Even at registration. That seems like a big security concern!

Thankfully, last night I was able to sleep and I woke up feeling better than yesterday. Which is a blessing, because yesterday the pain was over the top. 

Yesterday I was unable to do anything. So the fact that we walked on Roosevelt Island today was a big achievement. Not to mention a treat. Of course no visit is with a deer or two. 
We even saw three wild turkeys in a tree. Seeing turkeys on the Island is rare. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen them. The very first time was close to when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. So I hate to say it, but I attach seeing these feather friends on the Island with cancer. 
Sunny loves his walks! He also loves having a water break, sitting, and checking out the activity around him. 
Not the best photo, but this was a young buck. With antlers!
The resident Great Blue Heron! 


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! What a ridiculous experience at the hospital this week. Seriously, the fact that you were not allowed a family member with you is insane, and that they are giving you follow-up care instructions while you are still pumped full of drugs. Again, ridiculous! When I get those meds (for colonoscopies, etc.) I am out of my head for the rest of the day. No way would I be able to comprehend their instructions. It's also frightful that no one was listening to you or paying attention to your bracelet, you as a person, or your issues. I'm glad everything turned out all right, regardless of the traumatic last two days, and that you were able to take a walk on the beautiful island. I hope tomorrow is another improved day for you!