Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 26, 2021

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Tuesday, January 26, 2021 -- Mattie died 591 weeks ago today.

Tonight's photo was taken in January of 2009. I will never forget this moment in time. Mattie was struggling to re-learn to walk. We tried all sorts of games and gadgets, but that day Anna (Mattie's physical therapist) decided to try a reverse walker. I really did not think this would work since Mattie was scared of using the regular forward moving walker. Somehow, the reverse walker was better for Mattie and that day he took a few steps with it. As you can see Anna threw her hands up in the air cheering. Despite his best attempts though, Mattie was never able to walk independently again after his second limb salvaging surgery. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 25,407,414
  • number of people who died from the virus: 424,164


It was a grey, raw, and depressing Washington, DC day. We literally walked Sunny on Roosevelt Island through the mud and misting rain. I do think five years of caring for Sunny, I have learned to deal with whatever weather is thrown at me. As all dog owners know, you have no choice. Dogs need to go out! Despite the cold and dampness of the day, it was lovely to be on Roosevelt Island. We only saw two other people on the Island today and to me these walks are very therapeutic. Compared to the chaos all around us, being in the woods and with wide open space, is wonderful. I would like to say that the tents, homeless, and graffiti all around us was a temporary problem. Unfortunately it is and seems to only get worse month by month. I feel like everyone around me has gotten complacent and neither raises these issues with the city, or perhaps has given up trying. 

One of the things weighing on my mind is moving. As I know our current living situation is not sustainable, and our neighbors have even told me that our complex's property is up for sale in the commercial real estate market. HONESTLY! It is hard enough thinking of moving out of our home, but I worry for some of my neighbors who are older and have been here since the 1970s. This is their permanent home and community. Being forced to move can be devastating. Who is thinking about these residents? I know the answer is NO ONE. 

Meanwhile in addition to this simple fact, I also know that I can't live 2,500 miles away from my parents. That distance is too difficult now, and given the COVID climate, it has made traveling ten times worse. So I realize that Peter and I really do need to move, and in this move, I need to factor in my parents. Which is an added layer to my decision as to where we go. 

My parents are used to living in a warmer climate and certainly there are many advantages to living in a more temperate place. No snow, more outdoor living, etc. All important things to our quality of life. But if I want better weather, that means moving out of the DC area. Frankly such a decision stymies me. We have lived in Washington, DC since 1994. That is a long time. During this time, we both went to graduate school, had a child, developed a community, lived through childhood cancer and also started a Foundation in Mattie's memory. To me Mattie is tied to this area as are our friends and incredible supporters. Maybe because I moved across the Country when I was 14 years old, I am in a way scarred. I know the ramifications of geographical relocation. It can be detrimental to relationships. Yet I am also quite aware that friends and our support community are changing. As their children age and move away, so are they. Nothing stays the same. 

I really envy people who have lived in one area forever. They have developed roots and there really is no reason to move. Or at least to move out of state. Certainly one could say that you grow, learn, and evolve when experiencing new places. Perhaps, but there is a lot to be said to stability, community, and feeling a part of something. Needless to say, I feel great pressure to make a decision, I realize many people are relying on my decision, and I also know if I am going to make a change, it is easier to do it when I am younger.

No comments: