Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 15, 2021

Friday, October 15, 2021

Friday, October 15, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. That afternoon my parents and I took Mattie out to lunch. He was home between treatments and since it was early on in his treatment, Mattie still had energy, some immunity, and the ability to function independently. As you can see Mattie was decked out for Halloween and I also brought along all sorts of holiday themed toys.   

Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 44,834,986
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 723,242


Yesterday we both got the flu shot. I seem to be okay and Peter is more affected. But then again, we are living with a lot of stress each day, so it is hard to know if Peter is feeling the long-term stress or just side effects from the flu shot. 

I feel like I live in a fish bowl. We have been having work done inside and outside. There is NO escaping, no place where you can find peace, and poor Peter was jumping from one room to the next to find privacy for his conference calls. It is 5pm, and this is the FIRST time I have sat down all day. Because of the hectic pace, we are not eating right, and I am not keeping up my fluid intake. Which has painful consequences for me. So on top of everything else, I am feeling miserable and trying to re-hydrate. 

The saga of the bathroom smell continues. Today a team of plumbers came and literally cleaned out the entire shower drain. They did a great job. Now the shower drain doesn't smell, but unfortunately the smell continues. My plumber started looking under the sink and found a leak. So next week he will fix that, but I still can't pinpoint where the smell is coming from, and if there was a leak, has mold growing behind the sink vanity? I don't know, but there is never a dull minute here. If I listed all the things we have done to this house since we have bought it, you wouldn't believe it! I am beginning to think I could have built a house from the ground up and it would have been cheaper!

Meanwhile, I walked Sunny today and while walking, a car pulled up next to me. It was a woman who wanted me to know that she sees me walking Sunny everyday and is impressed with my patience. It isn't easy walking a dog in a sling, and it turns out she is a dog lover and has rescued and fostered many dogs. Needless to say I always find it interesting who is watching and wants to comment. This has happened to me many times while cruising with my dad. People apparently notice! I am minding my own business and not looking for commentary, but it is always nice whenever you receive positive feedback. Especially feedback as it relates to providing care.

No comments: